Chapter 10 (@inertflouride)

Call it instinct or whatever you wish to, but I just know it for a fact that whoever is trying to break in, they are here for Jake. Because the only crime this place has ever registered is a burglary and I know for a fact that no burglar is stupid enough to raid a house, especially when the occupants of the house haven't left.

I go ahead to call out the person that I'm going to dial 911 when Jake covers my mouth with his hand to quieten me and whispers, "Nope. Don't let him know that we have noticed his activity. Stay here and keep talking to me normally like you would, while I do something about it."

I follow his directions and start blabbing about random things: things that seem normal and things that do not arise suspicions. I look at Jake and find him removing his shoes and tiptoeing his way to the backdoor, passing through the kitchen skill-fully, leaving behind no sign of his previous nervousness.

He takes out a several knives from the drawers and checks them out, finally choosing the sharpest and the slickest one from the collection and makes his way to the back door. He sticks his back to the door, his right hand on the door knob and left hand holding the knife, ready to attack whoever gets in.

On the other side is the intruder who is still fiddling with the back door lock, unaware that we have caught onto his 'mischief'.

Just when he gets the lock done, which 'clicks' in response, Jake opens the door at the same time, masking the fact that the door was actually opened. He cooly waits for the intruder to charge in and the moment he does, he stabs the henchman's shoulder with his knife, making him fall on his knees in pain. Jake quickly gets in action and hits the intruder on the head with the butt of the knife, knocking him unconscious.

We take a collective breath of relief and slump down. "What was that? That happened so freaking quick!", I exclaim in disbelief on witnessing the power-packed action.

"Don't worry. It gets better with experience. I guess", he silently mumbles. "Um MC, do you have anything to tie him up with? If not ropes, then wires or something?"

"Why do you want to even keep this miscreant here?", I ask in bewilderment when it strikes me, "Oh. You want to get information about him and why is he here."

"Correct, and now let's settle with him", he says hastily, trying to quickly get ahold of our hostage before he gains conscious.

"Tying someone with wires might not be that good an idea though, we need something that holds more firmly. Telling with experience.", I tell him, muttering the last part.

"Say that again, I didn't get that", he hisses with his jaw clenched.

Of course he got jealous, "whatever was I thinking MC", I say to myself as I slap my head. I try to undo the damage caused, diverting from the topic. "Let's not get distracted and focus on the issue at hand", I insisted and rushed to get the item in demand.

I look around, searching aimlessly for something I don't even know about when I stumble on something useful. This could work.

"Here, use this", I suggest, handing him over a duct tape. Without saying something, Jake takes it from me and ties the guy's hands and feet and kicks him to responsiveness.

"Come on Jake, you can't possibly be mad at me, especially for something that happened before I even met you!", I reasoned, partly blaming myself for my lapse of carefulness.

"I'm not mad, I'm just, it's complicated", he trails off. Before I could begin to counter ask him, our dear intruder now captive, starts moving and wakens up. Jake again takes the knife in his hand, slowly tracing the henchman's neck with it.

"Lets start with who you are", Jakes says in a low tone which sends chills down my spine.

"I won't tell you-", he begins and Jakes hits his head with the knife's butt, with a little less force comparatively to when he knocked him out before.

"I think you don't get it, I don't have any problems in torturing information out of you. I can cut your arms, burn your fingers, mhmm, I do have many ideas. What will you prefer though? Also, why do you want to suffer so much for someone who won't even appreciate your loyalty, rather would kill you since you have already failed your mission. Instead I'll set you free once you help me", Jakes smoothly says, giving him a friendly grin and a glance of the knife simultaneously.

"What guarantee do I have that once I help you, you'll let me go?", the intruder asks in fear.

"You have my word. Plus I'm not the bad guy, despite whatever you think", Jakes patiently explains him, keeping his knife away now as a sign of peace.

"Okay. Um, my name is Tim. I work for the Mark Willow. He sent me here you get intel on you and your whereabouts, and preferably kidnap the girl too while I'm at it", he tells, pointing to me. I look at Jake, wanting to ask who Mark Willow is, only to see the colour of his face gone white.

"Go ahead", Jake orders him in an emotionless voice, "what else can you tell me."

"I heard Master Mark say that we'll crush the seed in its germination state", he ends, shaking his head over lack of further information.

Jake goes to the other room, without saying anything more. "What about me? You told me you would set me free! You gave me your word! Release me, please!", Tim starts wailing when he notices Jake leaving without another word.

"If you want to go, stay put and shut up. If he said that he'll let you go, he will, as long as you don't bother us", I warm Tim before taking off after Jake.

What I witness on following him is a complete mess of the room. The entire place is turned on its head, with a raging Jake hitting the wall with his fists. I hurriedly try to pull him back but to no avail. So, I try a different tact and put myself between him and the wall. I close my eyes as he goes on to take another strike at the wall, but stops himself just in time.

I open my eyes slowly and see him look drained, his arms down on either sides "Jake, get ahold of yourself. Calm down!", I say, trying to put down his rage. I make him sit on the bed and hand him a glass of water, also noticing his now bruised knuckles. I get the first aid box from the drawer and start treating his knuckles the best I could.

After ensuring that his knuckles are aided well, I gather up some courage and ask him, "Who is Mark Willow, Jake?"

He finishes the whole glass of water in one go and scoffs before answering. "Take a guess. Bet the answer will leave you shocked." I pause for a second but still stay clueless. "It's the man we are to assassinate, the one who is our mission, and my mentor", he answers defeatedly, his face hung low in his palms.

Oh. My. God.