Chapter 29 (a-glimpse-of-fantasy)

"We could get the flight list with your name on it and showing you board it and then sneak you off."

But it's trickier than it seems to pretend to be dead. It's almost impossible; especially in this era. Simply sneaking Mark out of the plane would not satisfy anyone's doubts. Simply blowing off his private plane won't get anything done. I gulp, unable to let out the seemingly possible next option.

Breaking the heavy silence, something completely unexpected escapes from MC's lips. Never in a million years did I imagine, my little genius could utter such words.

"I guess we have no choice but to use a dummy instead of you, no matter how I imagine," MC says, thoughtfully tapping her chin with her index finger.

Did I get that right? Did she mean we should kill someone else in Mark's place?

I feel like I'm slowly turning her into a monster...a monster akin to me.

Mark draws a devilish smirk at her words. Aha! You've got a nice catch there, Jake! His face seems to say.

If only I could wipe away the existence of this guy...

In another minute, MC puts her hand on my thigh, "By the way, wouldn't they be suspicious if we stay here for too long?" Then she turns to Mark, then shrugging her arms, "Surely they'd think we got caught or switched sides."

Right. The most important thing right now is to get out of this place first.

Whether we're working with you or the FBI...let's see after that, you bastard.

Soon, Mark nodded along. "That's true indeed. I see that you need to sneak out of here first." He stood up, "Still, we need to discuss our next steps before you do."

"Right."

***

Jake and Mark continued the discussion (Somehow that bastard, Mark didn't want me joining in. Is that gender discrimination?) while I... I kept contemplating whether I should tell the truth. Still, I can't imagine how Jake would react to it.

Then we were both sneaked into a lorry full of...well, onions. Is this that bastard's way of bullying us? It stinks! Where the hell did these freaking onions come from even?!

And now, here we are. On a country road, a dense forest on either side. (We were dumped here) For god's sake, it will take months to find our bodies even if that Mark bastard shoots us and shove our bodies into the woods.

Is it my imagination? Jake seems a little...no okay, VERY angry. He already contacted Kyle and we are waiting for him, while we smell like... onions. We are sitting by the road, in silence.

I think now is the time.

"Um...Jake?" He turns to face me, and I gulp. Should I just say it's nothing?

"Actually...there's something I didn't tell you...before going to the farm..." The latter of the words blurring, I avoid his gaze sneakily.

Jake frowns a little, "What is it MC?"

I clench my fists, "The thing is...your relationship to Mark.." Upon hearing those words, his face visibly contorted. I close my eyes tight, "I already knew about that."

"What?"

I open my eyes slowly, to see Jake, whose face is full of confusion.

"You know...that day when we argued about me going to the farm and all? That night, while you were working on something I got Kyle to talk."

Jake clenches his jaw, deeply sighing. I'm so sorry, Kyle! I didn't mean to betray you either.

"Well, at first I just needed some assurance. I get it that you trust him and all, but...Kyle said his mother was killed and his sister was in a coma. I couldn't leave out the possibility of Kyle being blackmailed using his sister. Because, if I was Mark, I'd definitely consider that option to corner you."

He chuckles, taking my left hand into his. "I should've seen that coming."

I nod, "So what happened was..."

-FLASHBACK-

" I apologize if you're offended but I need to know."

"What is it?" Kyle looks up from the laptop screen, raising his brows.

"Before that, can we talk right now? I mean, it's okay if you're busy. We can talk later...possibly." I fidget a little, honestly, I'm not sure if we'd get another chance before going to the farm. Jake is slumped with work, and won't care to look for me right now.

This is the perfect chance.

Kyle shakes his head, "No. Now's a good time."

I nod, then proceed to sit on the chair in front of him. "I can't be hundred percent sure, but I felt like you had something to tell me." He widens his green eyes, then avoids mine.

"Is it...concerning your sister maybe?"

He looks up again, sighing. "Before that, let me ask you a question. What is our relationship to Master according to Jake?"

I raise an eyebrow, a little confused but answer anyway. "That you two are college friends and Master was your immediate supervisor at your first job?"

"Pfft. Seriously? Then how did we get involved in this mess?"

I feel it, I am getting annoyed. Still, I won't get another chance for this. "That bastard was a vigilante or something and Jake was tricked into helping his illegal stuff. You refused but you suddenly warned him of the bastard then disappeared." Forgive me for continuously calling someone's child, a bastard. Sorry but not sorry, I simply have no heart to call that bastard 'Master'. "Then he was framed by the bastard."

He smirks, leaning over the chair. "Honestly tell me, you don't buy that, right?" To which I just shrugged. Yeah. I don't buy it. Why? Because Jake isn't stupid enough not to see the consequences of his actions. For god, he wasn't a f*cking six-year-old!

"Your hunch is somewhat right, I'd say. My sister was captured by Master. But, I'm not being blackmailed...At least for now. I guess he is assuming I'd lay low."

I cross my arms across my chest, leaning over the backrest. "Then that means, by helping us, you're putting her life in danger. Why are you doing this instead of licking his boots?"

Kyle sighed, deeply before closing his eyes for a moment. Then opening his eyes, he leaned forward. "You saw it coming too, right? Master always sees a few steps ahead. The truth is, tomorrow is a trap. A trap set for you and Jake."

I bite my lower lip, I can taste the metallic taste of blood. "But there's one thing we can be sure of. My involvement in this is something Master won't see beforehand."

"Let me guess, is your sister perhaps kept on the farm?"

He nodded, grinning. "Yes. The real goal for tomorrow is, you two saving your ass from his grasp while I, I'll save my sister."

"We are to buy time for you so you can save your sister..." While he nods, I frown. "And for what reason do we have to risk our lives for your sister?" Kyle sucked a sharp breath, "I swear miss Davis, If you help me with that, I'll do anything. ANYTHING. Master won't kill you two. No. If he wanted to, you'd be dead already. I suppose he has another motive."

My heart races, "That means, we have no exit in this game other than going to the farm tomorrow. Because everything is a play, and that bastard is the screenwriter."

"Yes. That's why we have to take him by surprise with a plot twist."

Ha ha ha! I see that weird twelve-headed creature has finally gone crazy! F*ck you!

"But why aren't you telling this to Jake instead of me?"

He shrugs with a smug face, "He has gone crazy, that's why."

I scoff before staring into his eyes directly, "Then tell me this, then I'll consider what to do next. What are you two's REAL relationship to that bastard?"