Chapter 6 (@red-writes-stuff)

I stare up at agent Wilson, trying to collect my thoughts with Jake's words running through my head over and over. He's right; they can't be trusted. What should we do? We don't have many options. What if we pretend to cooperate and run the first opportunity we get? I'm not sure I am cut out for life on the run, but at least I'll have Jake with me to help me adjust. What the hell did you think would happen when you decided to fall in love with a wanted hacker: marriage, kids, and a white picket fence? I mentally scold myself. I'm jerked back to reality when agent Michaels walks in, slamming the door behind him.

"I'm assuming you've made your choice. So, which is it going to be prison or cooperation?" He asks.

"Neither." I say finally, making up my mind. I lean back in my chair and look at Jake, who's staring at me with an eyebrow raised.

"Really?" Agent Michaels smirks. "And what makes you think you have any other options? Last time I checked, you were in our house; therefore, you play by our rules."

"I want a lawyer." I say.

"What do you want a lawyer for? We are offering you the deal of a lifetime. Do you really want some lawyer who's going to encourage you to make the wrong decision? If you want your boyfriend here to ever see freedom, you'll take the deal." Agent Wilson chimes in.

"I want to make sure you're not going to screw us over. What's stopping you from getting what you want, then pinning more crimes on me and sending us both to prison for the rest of our lives? If you want our help, you'll get me, my lawyer."

"What do you have to say about that?" Wilson asks Jake.

"I believe she asked for a lawyer. I think you might want to get one." Jake says without taking his eyes off of me.

The agents gather the papers off the table and walk to the door. Agent Wilson leaves, but Michaels stops and turns again to face us.

"You know, I can't guarantee this deal will still be on the table once I walk out this door." He says. I motion for him to keep going, and he walks out, slamming the door once again.

"You know you'll never see that lawyer, right?" Jake says after a moment of silence.

"Well then, I guess that'll prove they were never going to let us go, to begin with." I shrug.

I reach out, taking Jake's hands in mine while we wait for whatever happens next. We both sit there in silence, not wanting to say anything the listening ears may overhear. What feels like hours pass, and I start to get a little restless when the door suddenly swings open. To both of our surprise, Christopher Jenkins, my lawyer, walks into the room.

"What have you gotten yourself into now, MC?" He asks.

"It's a long story. Did they explain to you the deal they're offering?"

"Are you sure you don't want to discuss this in private?" He asks, eyeing Jake.

"No, you and him are the only people in this whole place, I trust. Anything you need to say you can say in front of him, especially since it's his life on the line, too."

"Very well." He says, sitting down next to us. "They did explain the deal, but you don't need it. I've looked over your charges, and I am confident I can get you out of all of them."

"What about Jake?" I ask.

"MC, that's a different story." He says.

"That's what I thought. I don't want to be free if he's not there with me."

"He's right. You should listen to him and walk out of here. Let me deal with the mess I've made." Jake's says.

"So is this deal they're proposing legit?" I ask, ignoring Jake completely.

"It seems to be, but we need to get everything in writing before you agree to anything."

"Well, do we have ourselves a deal?" Agent Wilson walks back into the room.

"I want everything in writing. Lay out all the full agreement terms and the conditions of their release, and I will look over it. Then, as long as you don't try to slide anything by us, we will have ourselves a deal."