Chapter 23 (@patrickkkstarrrr03)

"What do you think this big announcement will be?" I asked, looking at my outfit in the mirror. It was simple; a white long-sleeved button-up shirt, and small bow tie and a pencil skirt. A good enough outfit uniform for a 'waitress', right?

"Dunno." Jake hummed, sitting on the bed. "But it's gotta be something pretty big for everyone to be called to it."

He then stared at me, scanning my outfit up and down before frowning. "I'm still not the happiest about this plan, by the way."

I turn to look at Jake, crossing my arms. "Jake...."

He held his arms up in the air. "I know, I know. It's all part of the plan, and I trust you. I'm also trusting that you'll be safe."

I slowly walk towards the bed and sit next to him. I reach out my hand to grab his.

Jake turned to look at me, and I could see multiple emotions swimming in his blue eyes.

Fear.

Anxiousness.

Desperation.

And love.

My eyes softened, and I let go of his hand to gently caress his face. I tenderly stroked his cheek with my thumb, and he melted into my hand; into my touch. He softly grabbed my hand, and spoke.

"I trust you, more than anything....but it doesn't stop me from worrying." He closed his eyes, and I scooted closer to him. He placed his forehead against my shoulder, and I moved my hand from his cheek to his hair, stroking it slowly yet lovingly.

And we stayed like that for what felt like a lifetime.

***

"Okay, I'm ready now." I said, walking into the room where Kyle was, with Jake right behind me.

"You helped her with getting the body cam on, right?" Kyle asked.

Jake nodded, moving to sit on the couch, and I went to go sit next to him. Shortly after, Kyle sat on the couch across from us.

"Does that mean we're ready to go now?" I asked the two of them

"We should be." Jake answered. He then looked at Kyle, who looked a little too nervous. Jake raised an eyebrow. "What's with you? You're not the type to get nervous, so what's going on?" He asked Kyle.

Kyle cleared his throat. "Well..." he started, fiddling with his thumbs. He leaned forward, as if he was about to tell us a secret. Unknowingly, Jake and I both leaned forward too.

"We've got a small problem."

Jake snorted. "Yeah, assumed so. What we want to know is what that problem is."

Kyle sighed, then looked at Jake, then me, then leaned back into the couch. He kept silent for a few seconds, then slowly raised his head to look at us again.

"It seems that our pursuers are close to us."

Silence.

"Well, that's...not good." Jake groaned, throwing his head back and pulling at his hair.

"It isn't." Kyle agreed. "We'll have to make sort of diversion to throw them off, but that will take too long, and we'll miss the 'big announcement."

I opened my mouth to say something, "What if-"

"We could take MC to the farm first, then we could deal with the pursuers." Jake interrupted, not even noticing I had tried to say something.

I took a deep breath. "Okay, but what if-"

"That might work, but it might not!" Kyle interrupted. I grit my teeth.

Jake continued. "We have to try something-"

I stood up, gaining the attention of the two arguing men. "I have an idea. It might not be the best idea out there, but it will definitely buy us some time." Before they could speak up, I left the room to enter an unoccupied room for privacy. Taking out the burner phone Jake had bought for me, I dialed a number.

["MC?"] The voice said on the other side of the phone.

"Hey. I got a favor to ask of you."

["...what is it?"]

"I got into some trouble with Jake...."

["Why am I not surprised?....What do you want me to do?"]

"Do you think you could, y'know, buy us time by starting a certain 'movement' again?"

I knew immediatley she understood what I meant.

["Absolutely."]