Chapter 22 (@renneiscent)

"I never say that I agree you become any part of this." Jake is clenching his jaw while staring at me, I'm not really sure what is inside his head but I don't think I will like his mood right now. I escape a long sigh and walk closer to him.

"Jake, listen. We don't really have a lot of alternative right now and Kyle's plan is actually better than you think about. Don't overthink and just see the bright side of it, okay?" I try so hard to convince him, but his eyes are going darker by any second.

"You don't understand, do you? Kyle said that everyone has been summoned to the farm because there will be big announcement there. You have no idea what kind of people there that you are going to meet with." Jake is stepping closer to me, with reflex I cross my arms over my chest while still maintain my gaze at him.

"I'm going into camouflage, Jake! Nobody will know me there. Everything will be fine."

"Oh, really? You think so, huh? This is not just Poke, MC. This is not damn police chief or freaking legend obsessed junkie! You are not doing it behind your screen, behind your damn phone! But you are going to infiltrate inside! Among people you don't even know with! Who knows if one of them dares to lay their fucking fingers at you?"

Now he's in front of me, we are facing each other. I have no idea what cause this side of him but I won't give up convincing him.

"I can assure you that I will stay away from those people as much as possible. I will just try to do what's the necessity." I try to bargain with him by explaining some detail of my plan. I also don't want to face some people there. There are too much at stakes.

"And the necessity of it is for you to stay out of this risky plan!"

I'm trying so hard to remain calm but this man in front of me is so furious until the point he says everything with his raised and solid voice, makes me lose my patience and somehow I raise my voice even higher.

"Why are you so against this? Since when you are being so responsible and this stubborn over my well-being?"

"I don't know? Maybe since forever?" he sneers.

"You heard Kyle, Jake! I just need to get in and sneak into the server room! You need to relax and stop being so damn protective! I'm not your fucking child that you need to take care of all the time!"

"You watch that tone." He point his finger at me. His voice that warns and the way his expression deliver those words send chill to my body. But do I give up? Hell no!

"Listen," I take a deep breath, trying to make myself calm down again. "Kyle said that we can't have you just walk inside since everyone is looking out for you. That damn old man is making sure of it. Have you forgotten about what just happened recently? This is our best option and you knew that."

"Didn't I make myself clear here? I told you no." He argues while folding his arms on his chest; Jake tilts his head and his expression is showing disbelief.

"Why are you being so stubborn, Jake? All of us know that there is no other option!" I put my arms on my waist, still questioning where the hell he leaving his sense is.

"Oh, there is. You know what? I have best offer. I can still go. I can wear something, just put some damn wigs and I will go inside. End of the case." He is trying to leave but I hold his arm, forcing him to face me.

"You are not fucking serious!" I exclaim, his attitude triggers me to lose my cool.

"Oh, I'm fucking serious right now!" he yells at me back.

Both of us become really stubborn at this point while combat in glaring at each other. There is no one that wants to give up in this stupid game. Not Jake, not even me. But hey, I have valid reason to stay in my principle!

"Hey, guys. I think both of you need to cool your heads down..." Kyle is trying to meddle between us.

"Shut up, Kyle!" Jake and I are yelling to Kyle while our eyes are still glaring toward each other. I'm feeling bad to Kyle, really, but this heated situation right now is only between Jake's stubbornness and my defiant manner. It's either him to give up or me, but I don't want to be the one who give up. So, it's all up to Jake right now.

"Stop being so ridiculous and just face it, Jake! Both of us know this is the only way. We already knew this in the first place that we need to go inside his freaking mansion. You are the one who advised it that the only air-gapped network's flaw has is human error. And now we managed to get people who help us to bring him down! Only one step closer and we can end it. You can be free!"

"What are you trying to say? That you want to protect me? After this you want me to happily taste the freedom? Don't you understand that you basically throw yourself into danger? Why the hell you want to protect everyone but forget about yourself? You can't protect everyone, MC! Stop being so freaking selfless and put yourself more! You just casually ask to be killed!"

"We don't know that unless we try!" I insist.

Jake throws his hands to the air; he shakes his head and groans. "I can't with this."

He is leaving me and Kyle behind then walking to the front door, before he manages to completely leave the room; I call him, still confused and upset. "Are you leaving?"

"No, I need fresh air." Then he walks out and slams the door.

I'm furious. I'm frustrated. I don't want to argue or even fight with him. So, I follow his step and walk out from the room. But Kyle holds my wrist. "I think we need to give him some space."

"No, it's whether right now or he will do some stupid suicidal mission." I shake my head, can imagine what Jake will do just to replace me from this mission.

"Well, you got the point for that." Kyle sighs and steps back; let his arm go off from me.

I immediately sprint out from the room and catch up to follow Jake from behind. "Jake!"

"Not now, I told you I need fresh air." He is still walking but I keep running to him and hold his arm, pulling him to see me.

"I need you! You need to trust me in this." I plead to him, but his face is still stern. I cup his face and caress his cheeks with my thumbs. "Jake, please! You trust me, don't you?"

"I do, hell, I do." he mutters as both of his hands then hold mine which is still on his cheeks right now. His expression is going softer, and then he is letting out a long sigh. "It's just too dangerous, you know. I always put you in dangerous situation." He laughs bitterly, it's so bitter until my heart is clutching seeing him like this.

"No. It's not because of you! It's just some weird powerful creature beyond both of us that writing this annoying story about us." I put my arms around his neck as I try to comfort him with my embrace. He welcomes me by wrapping his arms around me and holding me tight.

"If I knew that I will meet you, I will just stay clean and become upright citizen and not meddle into something risky like what I have done in the past." He is taking deep breath while tighten the hug between us.

"Well, if you didn't do that, I don't think we can meet each other. This unusual circumstance that managed to pull us together, you know?" I look at him in the eyes and grin. Jake is smiling back at me. I think he is feeling much better now.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you. I'm so sorry for my jerk side there." He apologizes sincerely while resting his forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry too for everything that I have said which hurt your feeling. But still..." I take pause before continue. "I don't want to be your child, incest is not my thing. Sorry." My brows curl, I bite my lower lip; faking the regret on my face.

Jake chuckles after what I have said earlier; then he's leaving some kisses on my temple to my cheek then to my lips. "After seeing your anger back then, I should be worried to those people instead of you. I sometimes forgot how scary you can be."