Freedom? (SIGYN)

How could he? I made it clear the night we were together how a servant's life is wrapped up in the nobility they serve. Why blindside me in such a way? Revenge for sending another servant?

No, I gave Loki too much credit. He didn't care about my welfare. Didn't care about my life, privacy, or property. Mother was right. Once he got what he wanted, I was no longer needed. Didn't even have the decency to speak with me himself.

Relief in the past month since we'd been together came in the form of my regular bleed. I'd never been more grateful for it—rumors spun that Thor sired an illegitimate son who wandered Asgard's streets, sharing his obvious resemblance. While the idea of being an unexpected mother was its own horror, Loki's child might take after his hidden heritage, marking me for life as a traitor to Asgard. Given his suave nature, he could've had all sorts of offspring across the universe for all I knew.

To relieve myself of this new betrayal's pain, I pulled out my knife from the folds of the bed and removed my robe. With quick movements, I shredded the fabric, slashing with fury while tears stained my face. Internally I screamed at myself for being foolish enough to trust him at all.

It is over. Really over. I sobbed on the floor with the remnants of my figurative bondage, trying to convince myself that wider servitude was real freedom.

Tiwaz didn't sleep in my bed that night. Back from late prowling, he stayed by the door as if waiting for our earlier visitor to return.