Mixed Signals (LOKI)

Sigyn left through the secret passageway without another word. Exhaustion and the leftover ache in my shoulder fought against my want to replay the battle in my head.

The enemy was more organized and prepared than when I worked with them on Midgard. Even the creature that stabbed me did so with a weapon that was more than a sharp blade alone. His attack would scar me inside and out. Though our army defeated them in the single battle, I considered the Chitauri's threat and knew more might arrive before my soldiers could recuperate.

Yet beneath the uncomfortable restlessness of worry, warmth lingered in my chest, cozy and safe. My right hand absently found the pin on my opposite shoulder, and I traced its round frame while drifting to sleep. The wound below would heal and fade into nothing with time.

But what had she done to me?

***

I awoke while the city was still sleeping. Sigyn might've felt I was secure where I was, but my body had been trained too well to rise after a few hours. My head pounded and my shoulder was sore, but I could move well enough and sat up in bed.

A single candle on the dresser top flickered with the slight draft coming in from beneath the bedroom door. I opened it to see the main room and filled my lungs with the cool air, which sparked thirst in me. There'd been no supper, rightly so, but now that the excitement had died down, necessities could resume. I dressed myself in the black pants of my armor and put the cape around my shoulders—it was as close as I could get to walking the halls again as my former self.

The battle encouraged citizens to stay inside and avoid socializing, so while Asgard might usually have a few boisterous parties long into the night, it was now silent. I left through Mother's main chamber door and tiptoed through the halls while making myself invisible.

Sigyn was correct, and the grave workers whose job it was to erase all evidence of violence in the palace had already completed the task. From my view down the hall, save for a few scuffed or chipped pillars, the throne was untouched and would be ready for war council as soon as the sun allowed.

All the more reason to sneak into the kitchen for sustenance and recover quickly.

I didn't expect to see her in the servantry at the late hour; in fact, I hoped I wouldn't. My heart had enough exercise for one day, and her presence had a way of ramping up my pulse. I considered how I might've survived on my own if she didn't know my secret—it would no doubt have been much more difficult to allow a legitimate healer to manipulate the skin of my illusion.

So it was fortunate I had Sigyn to help me. That, I could admit.

No sooner had I reached the servantry floor with the kitchen in sight when Tiwaz the cat bounded for me with his tail upright.

Oh, no. I instantly regretted coming downstairs, as I lacked the strength to hurry in the opposite direction. "Shh," I whispered, aware he could see and hear me, yet my attempt to control his behavior was as futile as Odin's was to control mine.

He leaned up against my right leg and looked up at me, purring loudly and chittering as if in conversation.

I looked side to side down the hall and saw no one, but I didn't have faith that it would remain that way. "What's your nickname again? Tee? Please, if you understand, don't reveal me."

The cat took a few steps away from me, then glanced back over his shoulder.

It was charming—though he made me curious. "Did she send you for me? Is she here?"

Tiwaz stood completely still, but his purring heightened.

Could it do any harm to seek her now? Might she help me find what I need? In the moment, it seemed foolish not to take the cat's signal, since he didn't need words to prove his wisdom. After all, he was clearly an excellent judge of good character.