Loyalties (LOKI)

My capacity for tenderness had overflowed. How cloying and nauseating—a complete waste of time and too much of a risk to show weakness to anyone, even the girl.

So she was alone, like me. No family. In the nights I'd followed her out of Odin's chambers in secret, she hardly spoke to another soul—Tiwaz the cat was more of a companion than I initially thought.

Indeed, Sigyn was right. I suspected her for nothing. Why was I so certain she was only waiting for the right moment to betray me?

At the same time, her touch betrayed both of us. My mission as king could not afford to be clouded by any distractions. Her comment about my skin being cold was all the more reason to keep her away—was she mocking my true nature?

With the day fast approaching, Asgard was another sunrise closer to invasion. They were coming. Focus was essential. I marched in Odin's room before his sleep chamber, almost digging my feet into the floor with every step. I combatted her softness with resentment for the fact she forced my guard down and took my attention away from what mattered.

Her connection to Mother stayed my hand for this long, but I had to decide if Sigyn would remain a figure in my life—or a soon to be forgotten obstacle.

***

The imposing threat called all of Asgard's most advanced soldiers home to prepare for defense. Of all its factions, the Crimson Hawks had the most disciplined and steadfast men, and they were paired with the Valkyrie fleet of women who were equally impressive. Combining their forces meant there would be no need to summon Thor from Earth to assist us, which was frequently suggested by the less advanced fighters who thought they could depend on him to win their battles for them.

If they knew the full extent of my influence in Thor's victories, they might've verbalized a wish for me to have survived the stabbing on Svartalfheim—another slight against my skills by the supposed father that was Odin. I might not have had brute strength, but my cunning was unmatched, not to mention my sorcery.

One of the more advanced Crimson Hawks, a general called Theoric, finished his report on Asgard's repaired defenses. He stood strongly, showing off his height and robust physique beneath the red stained armor. Young and confident, this soldier reminded me somewhat of Thor—certain he was invincible simply because he'd been trained to think so.

Still, he hesitated to say his final piece. "There's been no more word from Heimdall on where the enemy is hiding, Allfather. I believe there is some doubt that what we monitored was a threat at all."

"Crush said doubt. I can feel it," I said, keeping my tone steady and relaxed as Odin would. "We need not seek them out. They'll come to us in due time."

Theoric bowed his head. "With all due respect, Allfather, but what is it you feel?"

"How dare you question the Allfather," another soldier shouted.

"I question not his authority or his accuracy. Are we to expect an invisible onslaught as we saw when Malekith arrived? How can we be adequately ready for an enemy shrouded in mystery?"

One of the women piped up, "But the nine realms are in peace—what could possibly wish to harm us and be able to hide from the gatekeeper's eyes?"

"You have no trust in the king and make all of us unworthy," the doubtful soldier said.

"I've done no such thing," Theoric said with wide eyes, turning to me once more.

I yelled with my hand raised, "Enough."

The troupe of eight men and women before me stood with their hands behind their backs. Every one of them ceased to make sounds with their breathing.

It filled me with rare heat. Complete control. More exciting than simply sentencing criminals to the dungeons, but squabbling had no place in my court. "You fools say you cannot be ready for war without knowing every aspect of your enemy? Then you shall fail. Is this not what you have been trained for? Is it not the goal of every soldier to be brave enough to take on Asgard's adversaries until your last and dying breath?"

Several of the young men, including Theoric, refused to look me in the eye. The latest generation of Asgardian soldiers were amateurs at best—naïve and unfocused at worst.

I stood to look down on all of them. "You are Asgardian generals, and I expect you to act as such."

"Yes, Allfather," they said in unison.

"Go now. Train your charges and deliver my message—the enemy approaches and laziness will not be tolerated. I don't want to see them standing idly at the gates; they should be practicing with more difficult weapons and stay focused on our goal of formidable defense. It is not a time for dancing or courting or other indulgence. We cannot afford distractions. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Allfather."

"You are dismissed," I said with a wave of my hand, definitively ending my council and sitting again.

From behind the soldiers who bled out of the judgment hall, Sigyn approached with the midday meal. Her hips swayed when she moved, more than I'd ever noticed before. It was a dance of sorts. Theoric lingered as she passed, meeting her eyes.

My heart jumped at the sight, and I coughed to put everything back in its place.

But Sigyn remained focused on her task and didn't grant him so much as a cursory nod or smile. She placed the tray at my side and whispered, "You're looking troubled today, Allfather."

I cocked my brow at her. "Am I?"

"I assure you, you're inspiring them. They need a strong king—one who won't allow them to be led astray by their own greenness."

"Have I asked for encouragement?" I took a piece of bread and tore off small pieces while giving her a critical glance. "And how do you know so much about the soldiers and their duties, hmm?"

"They aren't silent when they come to the great hall, My Lord." She poured tea for me as she spoke. "You see their fear, but I hear their words to one another. They used to think of you as old and uninspired—as of late, they believe in you. They'll face what's to come, even full-on war, as long as they can fight at your side." Sigyn handed me the cup and firmly met my gaze. "You truly have changed somehow, but in a way that the people respond to. I have faith in you as well, Allfather." The edge of her lips curled up in a small smile—one I expected to see her give Theoric. But no.

This was for me alone.

I nodded and softened my demeanor. "I told you once to be...careful where your loyalties lie. Now you say you have faith in me. You agree that your allegiance is where theirs is as well?"

My question might've confused anyone unaware of the context, but I trusted she would understand the real message. Even though you know the truth, you still trust me?

"Of course. It has always been aligned with you."

"Very well." I hummed and sat back in my throne, waving her away.

She made a small bow before turning out of the hall. The girl was certainly making efforts to prove her fidelity, but if there was a chance that other men could pull her focus, I wanted her to have a constant reminder of my authority.

Indeed, I wished to see her faithfulness and followed her every move while she faded from my sight.