Portals

The TV's glaring light was distorted through The child's tired eyes, the sounds of the repetitive ads and store selling smiles all mushed together, seamlessly becoming a blur of fake marketing. Their attention snapped back when the sudden loud sound of the news was heard, the logo flying off screen as a lady with bright red lipstick, a slim tan body and long, straight, rich brown hair was seen tapping a thick wad of paper on the desk; her slight smile almost unnoticeable. "This just in, after years of researching, creating, exploring and tinkering, scientists from around the world have come together to make the first ever safe, accessible and reliable portal to different dimensions. As said by the president, 'we have reached a new era of technology and a significant milestone for mankind'" her voice sounded almost robotic as she continued. The child shuffled on the couch nervously as their dad slammed his mug down on the dining table to listen, their mum closing the fridge door and glueing her eyes to the screen.

"Governments from around the world have split the portal evenly amongst themselves and have publicly activated it in all of their capital cities new 'portal rooms'"
"Tickets are online starting at $1000 for adults and $800 for teens 13 to 16. Welcome to the future."

The tv switched back to the annoyingly recognisable ads.

"Ron!" The child flinched as his mum shouted to her husband, her hands still washing the dishes. They looked over to their dad counting hundred dollar bills on the table, mumbling the amount as he went along. The dad freezes at his wife's screeching voice.
"Y-Yes Alice dear?" He gulps as he smiles widely. The child's hands tighten around them as they see their mum's face get more agitated. their mum never shouted, unless she absolutely needed to.

"We can pay with a card" She smiles as both the teenager and their dad exhale.

—————

The car ride was silent as they drove to the capital. Ron, as usual, was shouting profanity at passing cars that went one kilometre under the speed limit as his breath was lathered with alcohol. The child had to manoeuvre Their feet around the carelessly tossed empty beer cans littering the car floor. "Cassy, pass me a cig" The dad glanced in the rear view mirror as the kid pried one from the box next to them, Ron didn't want the box at the front since the cops would be more likely to see it. He snatches the white barrel from there hand and lights it up, letting his knees take control of the wheel until his hands are free once more.

The thick smell of burning nicotine clogged up the child's lungs quickly as no windows could be let down due to the car being very runned down and the windows not working. "Darl, could you please smoke when we get out of the car?" Alice's soft voice comforted them. All that was heard was a very low grumble from the larger male, which was enough to not push the question any longer.

—————

After what felt like an eternity looking for a spot to park the rusty car they finally found one at the very top floor of a building that accommodated the 'portal room' Cassy's dad bought tickets for. Ron and Alice walked ahead of them as they tagged behind, looking at them in envy.  Their sweet words to each other became a blur as they bit their tongue so hard they swore it was going to bleed. They gained their consciousness once more when they heard the elevator ding, signalling their stop. they stepped out into the big, spacious white room, with modern warm lights decoratively hanging from the ceiling. Big signs with modernistic purple portal logos hung everywhere with a company name in front of it written in white, 'Portal.co'. Creative the teen scoffed to themselves.
A recorded speech was heard on the microphone. The cheerful ladies' voice started with the company's slogan.

"Welcome to the future! Here at Portal.co we put your safety first and always make sure you and your family are as comfortable as you can be! Under the government's eagle eyes, no safety issues will ever be missed! We hope you enjoy your stay."