46

Gardens always gave Trixan Yvis a sense of calm and peace. When she was always full of rage, wanting nothing but blood and carnage, the sweet scent of flowers and their dazzling colors would put her mind at ease. She especially needed it tonight, after talking to Pheleraz. He might be here for Hellstorm, but Trixan knew he had other plans. She had known men like Pheleraz Zoleris-men who thought they had the power to control everyone else and use them against their will. As long as Trixan lived, she would not let Pheleraz, or anyone, use Pheera against her will ever again.

Suddenly sensing the vibrations of a heartbeat, Trixan narrowed her eyes. Whoever this heart belonged to was certainly fuming with rage. Trixan followed the sound through the garden, then stopped by the lake where Narvari sat. Why was Narvari so angry? What's wrong with her? And why wasn't she with Pheera?

Did something happen?

They sat in silence, enjoying the cool evening breeze when Narvari suddenly turned to look at her with wide eyes. "Trixan? When did you get here?"

What could Narvari be thinking about to not even notice Trixan's presence? "Are you alright, my dear?"

She shrugged. "I'm fine."

Was she really? A demon stabbed her in the heart after all. Maybe physically, Narvari was fine, but Trixan worried that the girl might be emotionally scarred. She wished Narvari would feel safe enough to tell her anything. "I thought you were with Pheera," said Trixan.

"Yeah, I was. Pheleraz wanted to talk to her alone." Narvari paused. "I hate that guy." That probably explained the angry heartbeat, Trixan thought. "I have a bad feeling about him," Narvari said. "What if he tries to take Pheera away?"

"That's not going to happen, my dear."

"How can you be so sure? How do you know he's not teleporting her out of here right now?"

"You don't have to worry about that." Trixan had considered that possibility and had already taken care of that. As long as she was here, Pheera was safe. Not even Pheleraz would dare do anything stupid.

"But I'm worried about her."

Trixan nodded. "I know."

Narvari clenched her jaws. "How are you always so calm? Sometimes it's like you don't even care about anything with your indifference."

The words cut through Trixan's heart like a knife. Is that what Narvari thought of her? That she didn't care about her own vanquishers? Trixan's hurt feelings must have been visible on her face because Narvari's eyes softened. "I'm sorry," she said.

"For what?" asked Trixan.

"Everything. I didn't mean it like that." Narvari bit her lips. "What I said to you, the last time... I was... I know you care, Trixan. Zemeron told me how you helped Pheera. I just... I don't know why I said what I said."

"You were in pain. I understand." Trixan smiled. "But you were right. What happened to Pheera was my fault. I should never have sent junior vanquishers on a suicide mission."

"Trixan, that's not true. I shouldn't have said that."

"It's okay. You were still right," said Trixan, "I should have been more prepared."

As much as Trixan wanted to prove the Draghein Family wrong, her pride meant nothing where the safety of her vanquishers was involved. Narvari had said that she would never forgive her if Pheera never recovered. The truth was that Trixan would never have forgiven herself.

"Well," said Narvari, "we're prepared now, aren't we? We have more senior vanquishers to handle the higher-order missions. Speaking of missions, when do we begin? I'm getting really bored."