37

As part of Trixan's instruction to reshuffle the teams, Zemeron joined Narvari's team. Narvari could guess exactly why Zemeron joined her team. But she wasn't complaining. If there was a chance that they would run into royal demons on their missions, then they really needed all the senior vanquishers they could get.

By the time one week passed, Narvari's team had gone on five missions yet none of those missions had anything to do with royal demons. Not even ninth-order demons.

That was a relief but at the same time quite a disappointment.

Then one Friday morning Narvari received a notification on her xuul about a new mission in Lagos.

She met with the team at the Junior Lounge and Zemeron activated the portal. Being the last person to walk through the portal, Narvari found herself in an office. Professionally decorated with the Nigerian flags and the portrait of the Nigerian president on the wall, the office wasn't small or shabby by any means but being used to Trixan's incredibly massive and luxurious office made it seem like a cubicle in comparison.

Behind the desk sat a plump man in a light blue uniform with graying temples and a mouth wide agape. His shock soon eased into a wide smile as if he had suddenly remembered why a group of strangers had suddenly appeared out of thin air right in his office.

"You must be from the Special Unit," he said, getting up from his large desk.

"Special Unit?" Narvari whispered to Yanvirrak and he just grinned. How many names did people know them by? In the last five missions, everyone had a different name for them. The last person had actually called them the Department of Extraordinary Affairs. Really? What kind of name was that?

The man shook Zemeron's hands. "I'm Temitope Adeishola, Commissioner of Lagos State Police."

After Zemeron introduced himself and the team, the commissioner scrutinized them with wide brown eyes.

"How can we help you, Commissioner?" Zemeron took the liberty to sit down in the ergonomic chair opposite the desk.

Temitope coughed before taking his seat. Since there were no other chairs, Narvari and the others just stood there.

"We have a serious case," The commissioner nodded. "Three months ago, forty-nine people were reported missing within two weeks."

Forty-nine people in two weeks? Narvari narrowed her eyes. Damn.

"We used every means at our disposal but we found nothing. No suspects. Nothing. The case transferred to FIB but they too found nothing and it became a cold case." The commissioner paused, taking a deep breath. "What happened three months ago repeated itself four days ago. So far twenty people have gone missing. It followed the same pattern and we believe it will be difficult to crack the case without outside help. It's why we're transferring the case to the Special Unit with immediate effect."

As serious as this case was, Narvari had doubts that it had anything to do with demons at all. It just sounded like a case of police incompetence. But as with all their missions, no matter how improbable it was to involve demons, they still investigated it thoroughly. From the few missions Narvari had been on, she'd had a feel of how cunning demons could be. To hide their devious ways from the Order, they would go to any length to cover it. Demons were full of surprises.

They followed Temitope out of the office, bypassing several police officers in black uniforms. Wherever they went, the officers halted in track saluting the man with a loud 'Sir.' Temitope simply passed by without any acknowledgment. Passing one hallway to the other, he finally led them to another room a lot smaller than his office. The stacks of boxes lying on the large oval table in the center of the room made the room even smaller.