13b

Stein’s insides quivered as though bursting wide open. He screamed as the bones in his body made cracking noises, shifting into positions he didn’t know existed in his body.

He felt his muscles growing denser and more massive until his shirt could no longer take it. His fingers grew longer, scalier, and sharper like the talons of a dragon. Stein ripped out the remainder of his shirt leaving him topless. Golden scales grew all over his body like an amour.

When he shouted it came out as a roar. He glared at Narvari, pointing a claw at her. “We are going to destroy you.”

For the first time, she saw fear in the girl’s eyes.

Stein casually strolled towards her taking his sweet time. But her fear did not paralyze her as she suddenly started shooting at him. The bullet hit his hard skin and crumbled to the ground like dust. Narvari froze, gaping at Stein.

“I already told you, child. No mortal weapon can harm me.”

Stein sent his thick talons towards her and he would have ripped her into shreds had she not suddenly leaped out of the way. She gracefully landed on her feet many yards away from Stein. For someone in shock, she really had quick reflexes. It was like her body was acting on instinct to stay away from danger.

Stein didn’t stop. He soared in the air, his body suddenly knowing how to fly. He plunged towards the girl, his massive palm ready to strike. Tremors shook the house as Stein’s claws ripped open the ground.

Narvari lost her balance and tumbled heavily. Stein sent another strike towards her, but she scrambled for safety. Wherever she went, however, Stein followed, ready to rip her in two. The walls and floors were full of rifts caused by Stein’s talons.

Cornering her, Narvari ran into the house. Stein pursued her through the roof, his powerful claws tearing down everything in his path. Walls tumbled down and beams of wood and metal crashed all around them. He would need a new house.

“You are quick on your feet. But how long will you run away from me until you tire?”

He landed on top of the rubble, in his now ruined house. The girl fired her gun at him three more times until she ran out of bullets. Stein laughed. “Bitch, I am invincible. And soon, I shall rule over all the demons. I’m going to enjoy roasting you to ash.”

The rage burned in his throat and he could no longer hold the furnace within him. As though being consumed from the inside by a wildfire, flames burst out of his mouth and set the whole house ablaze. The smell of burning wood and metal filled the air.

He laughed, watching the girl squirm from the heat. Her face was messy with blood and dust. “You say you’re going to make me suffer?” He laughed again. “You’re the one who’s going to burn in this fire.”

Narvari tightened her grip around her guns, sweat pouring all over her body. A newfound resolve, hotter than Stein’s flames, burned in her eyes. This girl was a master at pushing past her fear, Stein thought. She suddenly reminded him of someone.

“I guess you’re right,” she said. “I cannot inflict any harm on you since you’re obviously possessed by a demon.”

“Now you’re getting it.” He pointed a claw at her. “Ordinary people can’t vanquish demons.”