Chapter 3

"They really did a number on you," Heidi said cautiously as she looked me over.

I blew out a gust of air in frustration. "I'll take your word on that, since I still can't see."

"Did they say when that might change?" she wondered.

I nodded gently. "Sydney, the nurse who just left, is supposed to start testing my eyes tomorrow. We'll see how that goes I guess."

"Sydney, huh?" I could almost see the smirk on Heidi's face, even with the bandages.

"That is her name. Yep." I wasn't going to give anything away. Nuh uh.

"Damn, you're blushing as much as she is!" Heidi said with a snicker.

Okay, I wasn't going to be playing poker any time soon. "It doesn't matter. She already shot me down and said nurses can't have relationships with their patients."

I could feel her rougher hand gripping mine. "You're not going to be her patient forever. She isn't going to be affected by those bullies at school, so maybe you'd be able to have a normal relationship once you're healed up."

"Come on Heidi. She has two kids. She'd be dating a babysitter at that point." I was trying to sound pessimistic, hoping she'd give me more motivation, and she didn't disappoint.

"Two kids or not, she looked pretty young. Even with no eyes you picked a real beauty to flirt with. And like I said, she was blushing. So, there is at least a physical attraction. Besides, she can't even see your eyes yet, and those are your best features!" Heidi pumped me up, just like I needed, she never failed.

"Thanks Heidi. Maybe I'm just flirting because I can't see her. I'd be too shy if I saw her," I whined.

"Bullshit. That is most certainly not what happened in Florida, you had that woman screaming in your room in under an hour." Heidi was snickering now, but back on vacation she was complaining because she had the room next door and had to listen to it.

"That was different. She was making it very clear what she wanted, and I knew it was a short term thing. Sydney really seems nice, and I wouldn't want to just take her back to the house for a night." It may have sounded like I was joking about being nervous talking to Syd, but I was. Not being able to see her made me bolder. Like people online are more apt to say something to someone on the other side of the world because there is a sense of anonymity there. Me not being able to see Sydney let me say what I wanted, because it provided that same veil of security.

But it wasn't the same. As much as I wanted to admit it, Sydney was right here in my room with me. If I flirted with her, it would potentially mean something. As much as that made me a little nervous and a little scared, I liked it. I couldn't have a relationship with a nurse? Okay, I get that. But it didn't mean I couldn't flirt a little and see what happened. Like Heidi said, I wouldn't be a patient forever.

Wishful thinking? Absolutely. But what else did I have when I was laying here without anything to do? I couldn't even read or surf on my phone. I had nothing to do but sleep and think. And with Sydney, flirt.

"Well, I'm just saying, that nurse didn't seem to mind whatever you were doing." Heidi really seemed to enjoy teasing me today, and that wasn't what I'd needed her to do.

"Fine. I'll keep talking to Sydney if you do a few things for me."

"Excellent! Do I get to kick some little prissy asses?" She sounded much too eager.

I shook my head again, this time too fast and I had to groan as pain shot through my head. "No. No hurting anyone. I can't have you in trouble. For now, I want you to get access to their phones and both their home and school laptops. I want to be able to see everything they do."