Chapter 2

I see a lot of books that deal with people in arranged marriages. Usually there is some big deal where they learn to love each other and all that sappy shit. But you know what you don't see much? Any stories about their kids when that fairy tale doesn't come true. Well, now there is, because my parents were married as a part of an arranged marriage, and I guess I was the mandatory child to seal the deal. Yay me.

My father was born and raised in Hawaii and was next in line to run the family's resorts that were located on several of the islands there, as well some in Fiji, Dubai, Australia, and Thailand. My mom was born here in California, where she was also in a family that owned resorts, those across the United States. Needless to say, my family is filthy rich. I know, you can almost see it coming, right? Hey! We should have a merger and then have a kid who can take over the business when we retire!

Screw that. They weren't in love, and even as a little kid I could tell that before they shipped me right off the island. Why? Well, they were too busy running their business to deal with a kid, and the private schools here in California were thought to be better for my upbringing. So, hey, let's go tell Nai'a that she's living with her aunt now! I'm sure her four year old self will understand that mom and dad feel it's better to do that than keep her with them. But a mere three years later, my aunt Pam had to go to Thailand to grow that resort more. The business was growing too rapidly, and they needed another hand there to oversee things. So, I'd been living on my own since I was seven. Thanks mom and dad!

My aunt's house, well my house really, is worth over $30 million. I guess as of my birthday the first half of the trust from my grandparents kicked in, and the house is now mine. The house just sits here on a cliff in La Jolla looking over the Pacific Ocean. Yes, it's gorgeous, but my family seem clueless as to how to live like real people, so it is way too big. Five bedrooms and eight bathrooms? So much more than I need for just Heidi and me to be comfortable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not crying over having access to anything I want or need, but I don't like being flashy. If I drove an expensive car, I know at least three bitches that would probably trash it, and then Heidi would probably kill them. Instead, I just drive around in a comfy Camry while I leave the nice cars at home. I don't need designer clothes either, I like comfort more. All that money wasn't buying me a family to spend time with, so it all just sat in an account.

Luckily, I had Heidi. I may not have had a relationship with my parents other than the occasional call or birthday card, but Heidi was all I needed. Cook, friend, mom, bodyguard, tutor and trainer all in one. If I ever needed anything, she always made sure it happened. She taught me how to count, how to read, how to tie my shoes, how to swim, how to cook, and drive and everything else a growing girl needed. When I told her I liked other girls, she was the first to congratulate me and tell me that I was one of the smart ones and made me realize that no matter what anyone said, I was perfect. Even doing a little work for my parents and aunt, she made sure she had plenty of time for me.

The only thing she couldn't do was protect me at school.

Don't get me wrong, she wanted to. There were several times I had to almost tackle her, begging her not to do anything rash because I didn't want her to go to jail for beating up a minor. But not now. I knew I wouldn't be able to hold her off. Luckily, I was younger than all my bullies, and so I knew they were all 18 now too. Not that I was sending Heidi to beat them up, no, but she could do other things.

"What's the weather like out there?" I asked Sydney while waiting for Heidi to arrive.

"Just like last week. Lots of sun. Great tanning weather," she told me softly. "Can I get you anything?"

"Maybe some more of that apple juice, and some food would be nice." I know I was getting nutrients in the IV that I could feel pressing into my left hand, but I really wanted something in my belly.