"Sweetheart, why don't you help me get dessert." My mom says after dinner.

"Sure mom." I stand from the table and follow my mom into the kitchen.

Mom pulls out a round cake with buttercream frosting from the fridge and I dish out six small plates so my mom can serve.

"You and Deacon seemed to have settled nicely together."

That was a weird conversation starter...

"Yeah, I guess. I mean it's not hard to do since he's barely home." I reply, not needing her to think Deacon and I were spending so much time together.

"But when he is home, you guys are okay?"

"Why wouldn't we be? He's a great man mom."

"I know. You don't meet a lot of men like that anymore." My mom tells me.

"Dad told you about his date? Looks like he's moving on from Annie." I reply, holding out a plate so my mom can place a slice of cake on top. The batter was rainbow colors which I knew Lilah would freak out over when she saw it.

"Looks like he is." My mom says in a tone that makes me look up at her. She's studying me and I'm not sure what she's thinking but it makes me nervous. "You know, my parents are thirteen years apart."

"I know. Why are you telling me this?" I ask, even though I had a feeling I already knew.

She opens her mouth to speak but before she can get a word out, I interrupt by saying we needed to get the cake out to everyone. I didn't want to hear her question because I was going to have to lie to her if she asked me if there was anything going on between Deacon and I never lied to my mother before.

I rush out the kitchen with a plate of cake in each hand, serving the first slice to Lilah then Deacon. Lilah is practically bouncing in her seat when she sees the cake but she looks towards Deacon for his approval and with a silent head nod, Lilah goes for it.

"Don't worry guys, there's more coming." I tell them but before I can head back my dad stops me.

"Actually Mya, I'm sure Michael has had enough of spending time with us old folks, so why don't you two get of here and go get some desert somewhere else?" My dad suggests.

Was my dad trying to set me up?

I look at Michael, he looked just as embarrassed as I do but he does seem interested. "I'm down."

I smile at my dad, secretly telling him that I know exactly what he's doing. "Thank you for having me over dad." I walk over and kiss his cheek.

"Remember you can come here for more than just the food." He teases me.

"I'll visit more dad," I promise with a smile.

"What's going on?" My mom comes out with a plate of cake in each hand.

"Mya and Michael are going to get their own dessert. Hang out a bit." My dad explains.

"Is that so?" My mom looks between Deacon and me.

Did she know?

"How are you getting home?" Deacon interjects, still not looking at me as he tips his beer back.

"I'll make sure she gets home safely." Michael stands up from the table.

I shove my hands down the pocket of my jeans. "Do I have a curfew?"

My dad laughs and I notice Deacon locks his jaw. And I almost fight the urge to smile.

"Have fun." Deacon replies tightly.

"Bye guys." I wave at my parents then bend down next to Lilah. "Don't give daddy a hard time. I do that enough for the both of us." I tell Lilah and hear Deacon suck in a breath.

I kiss the top of Lilah's head then kiss Victoria's chubby cheek. I wave once more before following Michael out of the house.

"Your dad wasn't very slick trying to get us together was he?" Michael chuckled nervously and I see the dimples that appear on either cheeks when his face lights up.

"I'm glad you caught that." I giggle as I follow him to his silver BMW.

He gave off rich, Beverly vibes, but not spoiled somehow.

Michael takes us to a nearby Ice cream shop and pays for our ice cream. We settle at a table near one of the windows and talk. I was right about the Beverly vibes; he went to Beverly Hills High School. We talk about our high school experience and our experiences were similar; going to parties, hanging out with friends at hot spots, football games- of course he was playing and I was watching. He tells me about his family; he has a twin sister name Jessica and his parents are still happily married. He's really easy to talk to and honestly those damn dimples were doing a number on me.

After two hours though, Michael got me another cup on ice cream to go and I told him the address to Deacon's house.

"So, you're Deacon's nanny?"

"Yeah."

"So what's that like?"

I shrug. "It's good. His girls are amazing. Well-behaved. I decided to do it because he needed the help around the house since his wife died and it gave me an excuse me to move back home and be closer to my dad after he almost died a month ago." I confess.

"That's very admirable of you." Michael tells me.

"Thank you." I smile. When I look up I see We're outside of Deacon's house. "I should go before my ice cream melt."

"Let me walk you to the door." Michael says.

I smile wider because honestly I didn't think any guy my age did that anymore. "Okay."

The two of us climb out and Michael rounds the car and stands next to me, the two of us silently walk to the front door.

"Thank you for tonight. I had a good time."

"Me too."

The two of us stand there for a moment and I think he's going to kiss me and I'm internally freaking out on the inside because I'm not sure if I want him to or not. He leans forward and surprises me a second time when he kisses my cheek.

He chuckles at my shocked expression. "I'll call you."

"I'd like that." I admit.

"Goodnight Mya."

"Goodnight Michael."

______
Hope you enjoyed this chapter!
6+ comments for the next chapter!
Thank you for reading 💕