Chapter Thirty Five

It would be the moment that changed it all. I knew it was once I had my hand on the cold brass handle looking back at the two boys.

I could see Luke squirming under two hard gazes on him. Aaron stared directly at him angrily as if in warning as though saying that if I got hurt Luke would be the next one.

Though Luke only looked at me. His blue eyes were unreadable. They were intense and worriedly searching my face as if to see if any emotions would start playing out and I would give us all away.

The small space between us felt like miles more then mere inches. I wanted to move and grab him and hold him close. Smell his sweet scent and lovely heart beat. To feel the warmth radiate from his body and onto mine. I just wanted to be with him.

"You don't have to do this Nexia, you don't if you don't want too." Aaron tried to reason with me and I looked to see he was staring at me. His deep chocolate brown eyes pleading me to stay.

They were making this difficult for me. I wanted to stay more then anything but I knew if I did then I would chicken out on this and let the robot rule my life forever.

As tempting as it was to stay I knew I couldn't.

"I have to Aaron."

He seemed to understand because he nodded his head and pursed his pink lips.

"I hate to see you do this but I know that Luke is right." He told me grudgingly. He didn't seem to want to clarify what he meant by Luke is right and I didn't want him too.

It was already obvious.
They needed bait. They needed me to lure robot Luke and then turn him off and if it doesn't happen like that then they would come right in.

"What exactly do I do?" I asked Luke curiously.

"Well there are a few steps to it all. As you already know there is a panel on the back of his neck, it has a code. It's the year you were born -1998- and then you press enter and repeat it again but backwards 8991. Then the last thing you say is deactivate loud enough for him to hear and he will more then likely shut off." Luke told me.

"Why didn't you just do it before instead of it all leading up to this?" Aaron questioned looking at Luke with hostility.

Luke looked at him for a moment with a bored expression.

"It's voice activated. If he hears any of our voices he will go on a rampage. If he hears just hers he will completely shut off." Luke responded as if Aaron was an idiot.

Aarons eyes went to my face and I could see the paranoia on it. He was more against me going then before. He knew that the risk of me going were high and he didn't want even a small chance of me getting hurt.

I understood that.

"Just please be careful Nexia. It's dangerous. All the possibilities of what could happen are immense." Aaron warned and pleaded to me like I didn't already know the risks involved.

"I'll be careful." I promised looking back at the door. "But I have to go." I told them and they nodded together.

"Be careful please be careful."

They begged and I nodded.

It was like an adrenaline rush coursing through my veins as I opened the door. It opened quietly almost silent except for the gust of air that was forced against it.

I didn't know why but in this moment I thought of physics. How two objects -forces- push against one another and cancel the other one out to get a net force of zero. It was weird how I thought of it but it must have been because I would be going against someone -something- else and then at the end one of us -or both- will be distroyed.

Whatever the case was I didn't like my way of thinking at the moment. I walked into the room, my eyes scanning the vast area, seeing no one in sight.

It looked just the way it had the last time I had been here. Black table tops with screws and wires. There were power tools scattered around and robotic parts from what I could make out. There were some files on the table and I moved over to look at them.

They were opened and a picture was put to the side. One that I eagerly grabbed when I saw who was on the front of it -mum. It was the day before the accident, I remember clearly.

Dad had this picture hanging up in his bedroom and out in the family room. He would tell me about how he had snapped it when mum had just woke up.

In the picture she was holding a coffee mug that said "Best Mum" in big boxy letters and her black hair was in a messy bun, strands of it falling down and around her face. Her pink lips were pursed into a thoughtful manner and her nose crinkled and her eyes were bright and shimmering filled with so much love and adoration as she sat in her red baggy pajama pants and matching tank top.

Seeing it here in dads lab was like a hit in the gut. Why wouldn't he have it at his desk or in his wallet where he would usually keep it?

I set it down and went to read the papers. They crinkled in my hand slightly as I looked at them carefully. The words on them were strange and to scientific for me. But I knew they were talking about my mum.

It was obvious in the text. In one long paragraph it talked about her looks, in the next it described her personality.

In the last paragraph I finally understood why her picture was there and not with my dad. It was so obvious.

My dad planned on creating mum as a robot.

"Are you looking for something?"

Vote, comment, follow. :)