I watch her trying hard to lift it, making a grunting sound as she clenches her teeth. Her veins are popping out and while she can't take it anymore, she lets go and I burst out laughing instantly.

"Really?" She reacts angrily and I try to stop laughing but I couldn't.

"You told me not to underestimate you," I defend and she scoffs.

"Doesn't mean you should set to that weight, it's so heavy," She pouts her mouth as she complains.

"Reduce it abeg," She adds in a pidgin accent. I do as she said, reducing it to a lighter weight and she is now comfortable with the movement.

"Do not expect me to say bravo," I tease her as she stops after making it to ten repetitions.

"You tried babe," I hear a voice from the treadmill close to us. "Do not mind Mike,"

"Thank you," She replies to the guy with a smile and her phone suddenly begins to buzz.

She brings it out of her jean pocket and I notice her frown as she ignores to answer whoever is calling her.

"I'm going to lift another round..." She is saying and the call comes in again. I wonder who is trying to reach her when she doesn't want to pick up.

Nicholas or Tobi are the ones I can think of at this moment.

"Are you sure you don't want to pick that up?" I say in my calm voice. She nods no, her mood has entirely changed.

"It's my mom," She gulps. I sit at the machine next to her, facing her.

"Why?" I ask confusedly.

"We are just having an issue and nothing more," She shrugs her shoulders. I can now see she meant what she said the night she was drunk.

"Tell me about it," I say in concern. "If you don't mind."

'It's nothing serious," She retorts. "How do you feel about your parents' divorce?"

"I don't feel that bad since the plan to get divorced was mutual and they have both moved on," I answer the way I can while she is just staring at me as I continue. "Even though sometimes I do imagine what it would be like to have one big family, you know, me, Olivia, mom, and dad. It would be perfect."

I clear my throat and proceed.

"Some month after I was born, my aunty, got mom a job in the UK and she decided to relocate as things had been tough here in Nigeria with my dad. Dealing with their long-distance relationship, Mom refused to come back to Nigeria even after things had gotten better with Dad. They planned on separating before getting divorced. That is the story Olivia and me learned from them.
We only did visit Dad here in Nigeria during our vacation, sometimes he would come around. That was why I decided to come to college here to learn more about my homeland. We had no idea they had divorced until we were being told the story, so it doesn't affect us that much since we didn't grow up staying with mom and dad together," I express.

The only way it does affect me is having the mindset not to fall in love and talk less about getting married because what is the point when you will eventually file for divorce?

"Wow!" She reacts with her eyes wide open in surprise.

"So tell me about yours," I say, smiling.

She gulps and clears her throat, looking sad.

"Mom left my dad all because he lost his job, why would she if not that she was only after his money?" She expresses. "I lived all my life with my paternal grandma while she remarried. Now she wants to get close to her abandoned daughter, she wants to get to know her well, who does that?"

"That's so pathetic." I react.

How funny parents sometimes can be. They think they can just get away with what they had done, assuming their kids know nothing.

"Exactly, she always wants us to spend time together and it's kind of weird for me." She says. "The last time I visited her family, I couldn't stay overnight." She adds and she chuckles not for excitement though while I smile softly.

"Seeing her husband does make me think about my dad,"

"You are kinda jealous," I tease and she giggles at me.

"Sure," She agrees with me.

"How about him?" I inquire, recalling the aspect she said it's almost over for her dad to get out of what I don't know about.

"He is here in Lagos, I do check on him" She answers. This makes me realize part of what she said is not true.

I wanted to ask if he has also moved on but I hold it to myself as I do not want to overdo it.

"This life no balance," I say in Pidgin, meaning life sometimes ain't fair.

"You can say that again," She replies, glancing at her wristwatch. "I need to start leaving," She adds as she gets up.

I also get up and look around to see more folks in the studio.

There is no way I can run away from my job after being offered some days off.

"You can have my car key fob," I suggest, seeing her typing on her phone.

"I'm already requesting an Uber," She opposes.

"Why?" I ask in confusion.

"I don't know how to drive," She answers as she looks up at me.

"You should learn how to," I conclude. "I can be of help,"

"Maybe after I overcome the phobia," She retorts and we both chuckle. This makes me wonder if I have any phobia.

Well, I can testify of trypanophobia, gosh! I fucking hate injections from a young age and growing up, I fear it more.

I exchange pleasantries with some of the folks who have just arrived as I walk Karen out of the studio.