Chapter 43

Pei Siyuan had always felt that the world he lived in was illusory

This kind of illusion was reflected in almost every aspect of his life. He went to school every day like a routine, and his grades were always among the best, which was enviable, but he felt nothing. Sometimes, when he saw the questions he had just finished, he would suddenly be in a trance, feeling that the questions were done by him, but again it seemed not, he felt that he couldn’t remember even a little detail of doing the questions.

It was as if he was forced to be excellent, forced to become what others call “that family’s child”.

This false sense was even more obvious when facing Jiang Yao –

Jiang Yao was his neighbor’s daughter, and he has known her since childhood. In other people’s words, he and she should be regarded as childhood sweethearts.

He liked Jiang Yao – this seems to be the right thing to do. Jiang Yao was an excellent girl, she was warm and kind. Like the sun, she would always send warmth to the people around her. Anyone who has spent time with her wouldl find it difficult to hate her.

He liked Jiang Yao – there seemed to be no doubt, all people who knew him could come to this conclusion.

He liked Jiang Yao – even he himself thought so, he must like Jiang Yao, otherwise, why was he so patient and so different to her alone?

But, did he really like Jiang Yao?

If that feeling was really ‘like’ then,  why couldn’t he feel any fluctuation in his heart?

When walking with Jiang Yao, he often felt that his spirit and body were separated. He smiled at her and spoke patiently with her, but his real self was watching blankly from the sidelines – he couldn’t fit in and didn’t want to fit into the world of those two people.

He sometimes felt that he really liked Jiang Yao, as if she was his whole world, and sometimes he felt that Jiang Yao was nothing to him at all, no different from the strangers he met on the road.

This sense of inconsistency almost drove him crazy, and he did not know why he was like this, and sometimes he thought – maybe it’s not that the world was false, but that he was living too hypocritically?

In the days to come, he would never forget that day.

It was a Sunday afternoon, and that day was as calm as any Sunday. He also stayed at home to read and study as usual, which was the norm for him who was in his high school senior year.

The phone on the side vibrated, he picked it up and took a look, it was a message sent by his close brother Xie Yingzhou: [Pei Siyuan, do you want to come to the library to do homework together this afternoon?]

“I’ve finished it.”

He typed these words, and when he was about to send them, he deleted them all.