26: At Last, At Best

THIRD-PERSON

"...what?"

Eyes wide and lips curved in a disbelieving smile, Jongho standa in front of Minho's desk, looking well enough like a mad man. He can't even succumb to believe to his own words as he says,"He is right there, sir! Soobin-ssi just followed him to the interrogation room!" His chest is heaving with every breath, as if he ran a marathon to come to the senior's cabin.

"Are you sure he's part of Begonia?" Minho asks skeptically, putting his pen down with a small sound.

"Positive, sir! Found him wriggling out of Seoul through northern hills in a truck with dismantled front. Apparently he was the one who tried to kill Kang Taehyun, sir."

Minho had to secretly pinch himself to believe any of it.

"Who ordered you to kill Kang Taehyun?!"

Hears Minho as soon as he opens the door to the interrogation room. Soobin's hands are gripping tightly at the man's collars. But instead of an answer, the man continues to laugh like a lunatic.

He looks rather young, and if the choice of clothing and the quality of hair are of any signs, from a respectable background. Although the laugh says otherwise.

"Poor you. Lacking control on temper are we?"

"Soobin, step back," it is Minho who orders, receiving a frown out of the young officer.

"But sir-"

"I said step back."

Resistantly so, Soobin takes a step back from the man that now had an odd, seductive smile on his face as he stares right back at him. "Aren't you a fine piece of meat, ey?"

"Were you the one who was driving the truck that crashed into Kang Taehyun's car?"

The man finally lets his gaze slide to Minho, smile intact. "Seungkwan over here, and you?"

"Just answer the questions or there will be consequences."

Behind Minho, Officer Jongho and Seoghwa pour in, but he can care less. His eyes lay trained at the man like a hawk. But nothing affects him.

"Damn daddy, alright." The man, Seungkwan, rests his head against his palm, his blond locks ushering sideways. "Yes, it was indeed me. Although I am aware that I failed in giving the poor boy his peace."

"Do you work for The Begonia?"

He snorts. "Isn't it obvious? Who else is going around killing kids? That half sociopath Kai?"

"The only sociopath, actually no, psychopath here is you. Stop dragging Kai in this," Soobin spits out, crossing his arms. This is new of him defending a criminal and everyone looks over at the Officer, a bit dumbfounded. Minho, however, continues onto the next question.

"Is Jihan making you do this?"

Seungkwan's eyes sparkle at the mention of the name, but other than that, he shows no sign, nor does he say anything.

"How many are you?"

Still no answer.

"Is Kai Kamal Huening a hostage of answers?"

The silence remains.

"What is the big plan?"

"Seventy-two hours," came his voice at once, the smile dropping slightly.

"What? Seventy-two hours what?" urges Seonghwa, emerging from behind Minho.

The smile is right back. "Seventy-two hours..." And he starts to giggle uncontrollably, winking once towards Soobin.