24: The Wise One

HYUNJIN'S POV

"So are you gonna tell me what's been bothering you or am I right in assuming it's a lover's quarrel?"

Seonghwa avoids my eyes playing with the paperweight. He says nothing, and thus I recline back in my chair. "So it is a lover's quarrel, huh?"

"Well you are the one bothering me right now."

"You know what I mean, sweetie." I touch my fingertips to each other as my elbows rest on the armrests on the either side. Well, his sad pug face is enough tell me it's not just a lover's quarrel. It's something more. "What is it?"

He lowers his head in his arms, continuing to sulk. I guess he isn't in the mood to talk. So I take the cue and turn back to my computer screen where a Wikipedia page about 'The Begonia' lays open. Can't help him if he doesn't want me to.

« The Begonia (Korean: 베고니아 ) is a mafia group based in South Korea. The leader, as rumoured in the group, was Choi Jihan, a powerful elite who is also the founder of the group. Although in 2015, Jihan was pronounced dead after a police shootout in a wheat mill near Busan, but it was never confirmed. After 2015, the group dissolved but rumoured to have been resurfaced in June 2019. According to a repor- »

"

Do you think someone can fall out of love?" That grasps my attention as I snap my head to Seonghwa. He now sits straighter with almost an expectant expression etched upon his face, his brows sticking together.

I open my mouth but close it as I Marvel over the question. A few moments pass.

"It can be very much possible, yes."

"Oh..." Seonghwa looks down, scratching the table. I think I now understand what is going on. I sigh and turn in my chair until I'm right across from him.

"Hwa, mate...I mean, there must be a reason for you to be suspecting such a thing but, honestly, if you'd ask me, I don't think Soobin has fallen out of love. If anything, he is madly and utterly in love. Trust me, I've seen him."

"...but he always seems so lost in his own thoughts. He never eats the stuff I make and he...well, I don't know. He just feels so distant these days. And he comes home late."

Okay, that is understandable. I don't know what to say. I close my eyes and think it out. Soobin has been showing a different personality of himself altogether. He doesn't talk as often, he doesn't smile so often and, after that night he came back with an injured hand, he doesn't seem like himself. Maybe the murder of Kwon Gaeul left a lasting impact on him. After all, he did mention to me once that he has a phobia of blood, which is quite concerning because this line of work does contain bloodshed, more so as you climb to a higher rank. Or... "Maybe he needs a break. Everyone does at some point. You can't love something or someone constantly because love, in itself, is quite tiring. Breaks are needed, and maybe you should relax and focus on something else as well. I am sure that once all of this is over, he will come right back to you."

He slowly looks back up. "Are you sure?"

I smile. "Obviously. I do not want my ship to sink, now do I?"

"Whatever is that?"

"Nothing your pea-sized brain is gonna understand."