20: In the Name of Love

LIA'S POV

"Jisu-ah!"

No riches can buy happiness, no wealth can bring peace.

"Everything's over."

For the last four years of my life, I had thought I was blinded by love. And maybe I was.

Hwang Yeji was never a saint, not even close to one. Her father had always been involved with the underworld, and so was what he had taught his daughter, made her follow his footsteps all along. She trusted him more than herself, but he was not the best person for that.

"Here! Now you'll be fine."

The one she had worn that day-- that dress was her favourite. The sun had shone brightly on her brown hair, making it almost hazel as she had played around in the garden of her house. Her little fingers had held a bloom, a calla. She was ten, I was nine, and we were best of friends.

I had a camera, the one I used to carry everywhere. Why?

"Yeji eonnie, smile!"

Because it held our memories-- of mine and Yeji's.

"I don't wanna do this, Jisu-ah..."

She was thirteen when she had finally realised her father's foul play. But it was already too late for her to back out then. She'd cry in her room, asking the gods of her sins, for what had she done to receive such a fate. Against her will was she dragged into the mercy of wrong hands, and had she already committed forbidden crimes, although she wasn't aware.

How can one's own father be like this? So heartless?

But it was back then when I realised my feelings for her that weren't just limited to being best friends. It was much more.

At first, I defined it as admiration-- it didn't fit well. Soon did I realise that I had fallen actually fallen for her. My world revolved around her and hers around mine. We only had each other whom we could trust, and that's all we asked for, really. Her family raised me, and gave me shelter, food and clothes to wear but Yeji? She gave me a reason to live.

Years passed away like the shedding leaves of autumn, and a lot of things changed...

... Changed for the worse.

"Leave me alone!"

She started to keep a lot of secrets, and grew to be more...aggressive?

"Why do you even care?"

As the gap between us widened day by day, fear started to reign over my thought. I was clueless about my mistakes, and she refrained to tell me any.

Then came Shin Ryujin, destroying everything we had.

"Promise me something, Jisu-ah."

"What is it?"

"Please never breach my trust."

And I did one thing I had promised not to. I broke her trust.

I knew that telling the police about Huening Kai would cost Yeji's safety as well, of course, I knew. Yet I did just that, just for the greed of money.

I thought my love was the greatest, but as I had laid my eyes on the riches encased in a briefcase, I didn't think twice about it.