25: Blinding Lights

Tuesday, 14th June 2019-- Three days to go

TAEHYUN'S POV

one year ago

"Be honest with me about something."

At once he closes the screen of his phone; I can't help but notice it and feel a bit weird. He has never hidden anything from me before this.

"What is it?"

I peer at Kai. He has gotten so much better in a year, it's only a wonder. His cheeks hold colour, and his eyes are more expressive, just like before-- giving me hope of seeing the old Kai again. I honestly miss him sometimes. Not that Kai right now is any bad, no, not at all.

"Are you seeing someone?"

He blinks, lips falling apart with shock passing his expression. "Uh..."

I chuckle. "Thought so."

"What? No! I'm not seeing anyone!" He argued helplessly. And I know he is telling the truth. I know him well enough to know that he won't really go ahead and ask someone out. If anything of the past Kai is left, it has to be his shy self.

"I'll believe you on that one. So, who is it?"

Present

"I-It was Choi Beomgyu."

"Attorney Choi's son?"

I nod, hands fisted on the blanket Hyunjin has provided me with. A whole day has passed since the attack, and I still can't help but let my gaze frantically skim around the room of the apartment every once in a while in the fear that someone appears again. I know more than what is considered healthy and I am pretty sure the Begonia is now after me-- they must be aware of my situation with the detective and the police themselves.

Hyunjin, on the desk chair, leans back with a resigned huff. "Do you think he might be involved in the case? Like, at all? Because if he is, then it would affect a lot of things. I think you are wise enough to know that."

I could only stare at my hands. There is a dull ache behind my head, must be the wound from the accident. Of course, I know the consequences, the first being the replacement of the core member of the team, the attorney itself. I don't even know why Yujin is taking such a risk.

"He was just a crush of his. And a friend. Nothing more, nothing less."

Hyunjin's face doesn't look like he believes me a single bit over that, but he still says, "I'll believe you on that one." And then he stands up from his seat and silently leaves the room.

I wonder why he is even keeping up with me when he can simply hand me over to police custody. Why bother for my safety at all?

Sighing, I lean back at the headboard, trying to calm the inner storm I have rumbling through my veins. The events of the night of the accident are still afresh through the eyes of my memories. The light drizzle, the empty roads, those blinding lights...

...blinding lights?

"Kai, listen carefully to what I say."

The engine whirred in the silent night. I could've easily been arrested for driving without licence. I simply didn't care. I already had a lot on my plate to care of.

[Is everything okay? Have you been crying?]

I ignore the questions. "Throw away your meds. All of it."

[W-what? Tae?]

I take in a shuddering breath, a weird, foreboding sense was filling up my heart which hammered against my chest. "They aren't your meds at all, weren't ever."

There was a pause. [You are making no sense.]

A choked sob came from my throat and fresh tears lapped over the dried streaks. "Kai..."

The roads were empty, dark. My hands clutched the steering tighter. "Kai, they were drugs. Hallucinogens. Yeonjun hyung was fucking drugging you! He was playing with the both of us!"

Just then, a car appeared in the rear view mirror. I did not really pay it any mind. "He had been using you all this time, manipulating you into doing all that shit."

There was no sound over the call and for a second I thought it disconnected, looking over to the screen embedded upon the dashboard. The call was still going.

The light from the car behind reflected against mirror and into my eyes, blinding.

I took another turn down the winding roads of the hill and the car was approaching ever so closer, until I realised it wasn't a car at all. It was a truck.

[Tae...is this...I-]

And I didn't know what happened next, although I did feel a sharp jerk from behind and then I could only remember falling into the hands of darkness.

The truck, blinding lights, the crash, it...

It was all planned.

I can't breathe.

My hands jump to my throat.

Of course it was planned. And that woman yesterday...

My skin feels like pricking pins, feverish. All I can think of are those blinding lights. Then I see Yeonjun hyung, bed ridden with a bullet to his leg as he counted days with those empty eyes. Then there is Kai, holding a picture of him with his family, alive and happy and together. He looks soul-less.

Then I see myself, passed out with my head against the steering wheel, blood everywhere.

"Taehyun?!" The voice is distant as I lose myself little by little.

"Fuck- Taehyun!"

Is this what dying feels like?

"Taehyun, come back! This is my house, you are safe! Dear God- please come back!"

My eyes droop, suddenly feeling a lot more heavier than I had remembered them to be...

Until a pair of arms wrapped around me. So warm.

"Taehyun! This is Hyunjin!"

So comfortable. This feels...nice.

And the haze clears up.

"Taehyun."

The voice is much clearer, so is my roaring heart and loud pants.

I blink, finally coming back to my senses.

What was that?

"I..." What just happened?

Hyunjin pulls back, wide eyes staring at me. "Thank God you are fine. You were screaming like a damn banshee, I got so scared." And he came right back to where he was, holding me as close as he physically can.

What is even going on?

This wasn't a panic attack, was it? I have no clue.

I feel so tired, and so I slump in the warmth of the other, sighing.

"Thank you," I whispered.

The other kissed the top of my head as I fell into my slumber.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

A/N ¡! " Happy Yeonjun Day~ "