16: Wishing I Die in my Sleep

SEONGHWA'S POV

I think I've lost myself in the maze of my doubts, facing a dead end. I am lost, confused, scared and not aware of my path out of this mess.

Three days have passed, fourth around the corner, but Soobin abstains from uttering not a word. He zones out often and has lost his appetite and you'll only ever see him while he is lost in his own thoughts. He would blankly stare at the ceiling at night as if it held something he had always needed.

Right now, it's no different. He is skimming the pad of his thumb against the spine of a book lying on his stomach which I know he hasn't been reading.

"Soobin-ah..."

Soobin slowly shifts his attention to me. "Yes?" He mumbles. I, too, shift myself in the bed, turning to lie on my sides, facing him.

"How is your hand?"

My gaze wanders to his bandaged palm and then back to him. He acknowledges the question, his nails grazing against the book once again. "Fine, I think. It doesn't hurt that much."

I hum at his answer, not really satisfied. "Can I ask you something?"

"You can ask me anything, Hwa."

"You knew the guy who shot you, right?"

He blinks, eyes widening by a fraction. "N-no." His voice comes out higher than before. I draw in a sharp breath. I catch the lie but feel a dull ache upon my chest. Does he not trust me?

"Honey, it's fine. You can tell me."

"I have nothing to tell."

"But—"

The doorbell rings loud and clear in the silence of the night. I and Soobin stare at each other for a few moments, puzzled. I am very sure none of us invited anyone. Soobin sits up. "I'll see." I hold his wrist just in time to stop his movements.

"Let me check the door cam first," I suggest, reaching for my phone on the bed stand—Soobin peers at the screen over my shoulder, curious as well. The device comes to life in my hand, recognising my face and opening up.

"Hyunjin? At this time?" The other wonders aloud, looking at me with a frown. I mirror his expressions, looking back at him.

"Wasn't he on that mission?"

"Minho-ssi informed that they were back an hour ago. Hyunjin was injured so he had to be dropped off at the city hospital."

"Oh..."

Soobin stands up, sauntering out the door of our room. I follow behind after a few seconds, finding him near the main door already, his hands turning the locks which clicked one after another. He pulls open the door.

Hyunjin, as expected, stands out in the apartment's corridor. His shoulders are sagging low and his blond hair is in a tangled mess. He slowly lifts his eyes from the floor to look at Soobin, then shifts to me. "Can I come in?" He asks, exhaustion prominent in his voice.

"Of course." Soobin steps to the side, making room for the other to enter. The other obliges, stumbling into the apartment. Soobin closes the door behind him.