23: Scintilla of a Hope

Monday, 13th June 2019 - Four days to go

THIRD PERSON

"Any progress with the Park Jia missing case, Soobin-ssi?"

Yujin is met with silence. She looks over to the said officer clad in his grey suit, thoughtfully staring into spaces as he leans against a bookshelf.

A day has passed since the official announcement from the court and Yujin can feel no better about the entirety of it. Bang Chan has been keeping touch with her, giving her all the intels on Jury Kang and her discreet shift in allegiance, which is a plus of it all. But still she can't help but think about all those times when Kai was around. Never in a million years had she imagined that such a kind person would be behind such heinous crimes.

And that fact alone terrifies her. Usually, Yujin is very much sure of her judgement and can read a person with a mere glance. Kai, however... he must be quite skilled to have dodged her radar of suspicion, almost alarmingly so.

"Soobin-ssi?"

"Why was I kept in dark about the interrogation with Kang Taehyun?" says Soobin, not moving, not even flinching.

Yujin's eyes widen by a fraction. "Soobin-ssi...you know that if anyone else even gets to know about your...friendship with an eligible suspect, it could result in your forced resignation from this ca-"

"Hyunjin knows, though. Seonghwa and Dami as well." Soobin is still calm with his words, which amazes Yujin.

The elder woman takes a look of him, sighs, and stands up before smoothening her dress. Then she clasps her hands. "You know better than anyone else how much I need you here."

Soobin chuckles, no hint of humor present. "Oh. So I can lure Yeonjun in? Is that what you want from me?" He pushes himself off of the bookshelf. "Might I remind you that I very much have a boyfriend whom I cherish more than life?" He turns, finally meeting Yujin's gaze. "I am over him, and I am sure he is no different."

"The bullet mark on your hand says otherwise."

"I don't want you getting hurt, Soobin. Please understand..."

Soobin takes in a sharp breath, throwing the nastiest glare he can conjure, his teeth gritted. "It doesn't mean anything."

But Yujin isn't gonna back down, while she is at it. She crosses her arms. "Oh, does it now?"

"Do not test me, Choi Yujin. It won't take time for me to go and tell your oh so precious son about your dirty deeds. And I m very sure he isn't gonna love you after he hears it. Trust me."

"Don't you dare, Choi. Don't you fucking dare." She raises her finger, jabbing it on his chest with every word. "And do not take my kindness for granted. I can become your worst nightmare."

Soobin smiles. "As if you haven't already ruined my life, Choi Yujin. You are such a fucking bitch."

Yujin mirrors the other's expression. "And would gladly do it again. My son is everything to me and I can fight the world for him."

"Yet you couldn't fight away your cheap mentality for Beomgyu. What a shame." With these words, Soobin turns around and starts to take his leave.

Yujin stares at him. "Where are you going?"

The officer halts, turning only his head to the side. "Nothing that considers your inference, madam. You are not entitled to act as a mother to every single person you see around."

He doesn't wait any longer, going away once and for all.

SOOBIN'S POV

Suddenly the world stands against me once again, and I don't know how to feel about it.

And Choi Yujin is right in assuming I'd ever move on. Am I being that obvious?

The engine of the car hums distantly as I drive further through the dirt roads. I turn the steering and a new corner of the forest reveals itself.

Seoul is the city of hills and mountains- seven if those- surrounded with green from all six directions. Some parts are loaded with tourists and people looking for a nice vacation. But that does not mean that there aren't any restricted parts; quite the contrary, actually.

And one of those restricted parts is this, the one I am driving through. It's a private property owned by someone unknown to even the locals. I know better.

The sounds die down altogether as I turn the engine off. My hands stay rested against the steering, finger drumming against the surface of leather.

The back door opens and someone gets in, closing the door behind them. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

My gaze turns to the rear view mirror, keeping my face as expressionless as I can manage. Coming in my sight is a dishevelled looking young man in his late teens, his wavy dark locks sticking to his forehead with sweat. His clothes seems a bit tattered, but I doubt I was expecting anything different. Considering his situation.

"Why did you call me?" I ask, initiating the conversation. The boy, however keeps his silence as he pokes his finger through a hole in his jacket. To be honest I have never seen him like this ever before. Rather, he used to be quite the sophisticated one back in school, if I can remember well- the highest quality of clothing and the best converse one could afford, a LV bag slinging on his shoulder. It's as if his personality took a whole one-eighty degree.

"You were right. They are planning something big. Woo hyung came in last night to inform such." He finally says.

"Told you. They had been a bit too silent ever since Kai was taken. From what I know, they are far better than taking petty revenge on a mentally unstable teenager. Their must be something bigger in it for them if they even consider keeping Kai alive at all."

"Yeah..."

Silence takes over and for a while I wonder, what if we had led a normal life? Away from all these crimes, betrayals, secrets- what if none of it had ever happened. Would I still at this place, feeling like I have already lost my soul?

I sigh and turn in my seat to look at the boy at last. "Trust me when I say this, but things will get better. All of this will end eventually and then we can just have the happily ever after."

"It never is like that hyung... You did tell me those same words back when you were a senior in high school, and look where you are now."

That is true, almost painfully so. But I want to be as positive as possible. After all, it's not wrong to hope for the best. And I am pretty sure many others want the same.

And thus, I smile- a genuine one. "I will make it happen this time around. Everyone deserves happiness, and if that means the sacrifice of my life, I am not scared. I will die happily if at cost of yours and many others' freedom. Mark my words, Heeseung."

Heeseung let out a sob before hiding his face in his hands. He has always been a younger brother to me, he is too good for this world and I will make sure no one else ever hurts him.

He has already been broken out of repair, I don't want anymore despair to befall him.

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

A/N ¡! " Soobin best man fr fr "