Chapter 5. 1856 

The following evening, Amelia was a bundle of nerves. She was having Nicholas over for dinner, and she was wanting everything to be perfect. She had her cooks prepare a five course meal for the two of them, complete with a glass of red wine.
Amelia was wearing a lovely gown of cream silk with off the shoulder sleeves and matching cream silk gloves. The neckline of the gown was sweetheart, exposing just enough cleavage for Nicholas to enjoy. Her hair was fixed into an elegant side bun with curls along her left shoulderr.
Charlotte poked her head into the room and smiled sweetly. "EverythingCharlotte poked her head into the room and smiled sweetly. "Everything looks magnificent my lady."
Amelia smiled back at her lady in waiting. "Thank you Charlotte. I'm simply hoping that his grace likes it."
Charlotte. "I have no doubt he is going to my lady, don't fret."
The Butler, Michaelson, poked his head into the room a few minutes later. "His Grace the Duke of Richmond my Lady."
Amelia. "Thank you Michaelson, send him in please."
Moments later, Nicholas walked into the dining room, looking even more handsome than Amelia had remembered.He was wearing a three-piece black silk suit with a deep blue waist coat cream button up shirt cream cravat and black boots. His dark brown eyes traveled up and down her body with pure approval.
Amelia became bright pink, but then smiled and dropped into a curtsy. "Good evening your grace."
Nicholas took a step forward, taking her hand and brushing his lips against her knuckles. "Good evening to you Amelia, thank you for having me this evening."
Amelia. "I'm glad you're here, have a seat."
They took a seat across from one another at the table in the dining room. They were served a glass of red wine while talking about the current events and latest gossip that was taking place throughout London and Mayfair. It was clear that the social season was having great prospect on several young ladies and gentlemen.
As the first course of cream corn soup was served, Amelia realized that she couldn't hide the obvious fact that George and Margaret were on the verge of getting married. That was, of course, if Margaret gave George a son. She bit her lip, her brain twisting to try and form words.
Sensing her distress, Nicholas reached out and took her hand. "Is something wrong?"
Amelia took a breath before meeting his eyes. "George has sent word that he and Margaret are engaged. He is hell-bent on making sure that Margaret gives him a sun before he decides to marry her."
Nicholas. "I see. And what if Miss Allister gives him a daughter?"
Amelia bit her lip again. "I'm not sure what's going to happen then your grace."
In fact, Amelia really wasn't sure what was going to happen after Margaret gave birth. Was the child going to be a boy, and she and George could get their marriage annulled? What if the baby was a girl? Was George going to demand that he and Amelia remain married and name only while he attempted to get Margaret with child again? She shook her head. She had no clue what was going to happen. And she was very frightened to find out.
Nicholas squeezed her fingers. "For now, why don't we not focus on your husband and focus on each other instead?"
Amelia felt herself relax. "I've believe that's a wonderful idea."
They enjoyed their dinner and one another's company immensely. Aside from the other things they discovered they had in common, it was revealed that they shared the same birth day. They were both born during the month of May. Once they finished eating, they decided  to take a walk through the garden.
Amelia showed Nicholas the various flowers that had been planted in the Tristian garden, detailing her favorites which were roses. Her eyes sparkled like blue diamonds as she described receiving a single red rose on her birthday every year from her mother when she was alive. She was delighted to know that Nicholas had a love of roses as well.
After taking a stroll through the garden, Nicholas came to a stop when they arrived back to the house. He took Amelia space between his hands, his eyes fixed with hers. "I had a lovely evening."
Amelia smiled. "I'm glad, because I had a lovely eveningwith you."
Nicolas smiled back, his eyes glittering like dark chocolate. He brushed his thumb gently against her lips. "I would like to invite you to a ball I am hosting next month."
Amelia's eyes lit up. "I would be honored to attend your grace."
Nicholas beamed with excitement. "Wonderful, I'll send you an invitation as soon as everything is arranged."
Amelia. "Perfect."
Nicholas came closer, his lips just inches away from hers. But then he thought better of it and pulled back.  He was wanting to kiss her, so terribly. But he knew becoming a rake wouldn't be a good idea. He was a gentleman. She was a lady.
Amelia gave him a soft smile. "I look forward to receiving your invitation your grace."
Nicholas. "And I look forward to sending it to you."
They stared at each other for several more minutes before they reluctantly separated for the night. Little did they realize that the following month was going to bring news that would change their lives forever.