Chapter 13. 1856 

The following day, Amelia was seated across from Violet in the drawing room of Richmond Hall, completely adoring the dowager duchess. Her future mother-in-law was beautiful, kind, and had the largest heart anyone could ever be blessed to know. It was clear by the creamy color of her skin that she was Nicholas's grandmother on his mothers side. She felt very comfortable with Violet.
Violet, for her part, adored Amelia to death. The young lady before her was radiant, intelligent, and had the most beautiful smile. She was poised and elegant, and ready to help whenever necessary. She knew that Amelia Morgan was the right choice for her grandson. Reaching across the drawing room table where the two of them were taking tea, she took Amelia's hand gently. "You have made my Nicholas very happy Miss Morgan."
Amelia smiled softly. "Thank you. Nicholas makes me very happy as well."
Violet squeezed her fingers before leaning back against the plush deep red velvet chair that was across from Amelia's. She picked up her tea cup and took a sip. "When do the two of you plan to be married?"
Amelia took a sip from her own tea cup. "We haven't discussed it yet, but we believe sometime next spring, before the social season begins."
Violet. "A spring wedding would be beautiful."
The two of them continued talking and laughing with one another, not realizing that Nicholas was standing in the doorway and watching them. He was very grateful that his grandmother loved Amelia as much as he did. He was relieved that Amelia adored his grandmother. He smiled softly to himself, excited at the prospect of having Amelia meet his sister Rachel and her husband Viscount Frederick Grafton. Turning around, he quietly made his way back to his office to finish up more paperwork.
***
Two days after meeting Violet, Amelia was taking a carriage to London with Rachel so the two of them could get new gowns for the Christmas ball. Just like the dowager duchess, she became quite close with Rachel Grafton very quickly, and the young woman reciprocated her feelings. She noticed that Rachel had the same caramel  complexion dark eyes and dark hair that Nicholas did.
Rachel. "I still cannot believe that Nicholas has finally found himself a wife. I've been wondering when he was going to settle down."
Amelia giggled. "The two of you must be very close in age my lady."
Rachel. "Nicholas is three years older than I am. And please, Rachel is just fine. You're going to be my sister-in-law before we know it."
Amelia. "All right. Do you and Frederick have any children?"
Rachel's eyes started sparkling. "We do, three of them. Our oldest is Albert, our middle is Oscar, and our youngest is Madeline."
Amelia smiled. She couldn't wait to become a mother herself. "They sound very lovely. How old are they?"
Rachel. "Albert is four years old, Oscar is three years old, and Madeline is two years old."
Amelia's eyes went wide. She realized that, at the age of 25, Rachel was very much a young mother. But that meant she was healthy, and could easily have more children if she chose. "They sound adorable. Do you believe you and Frederick are going to add to your family?"
Rachel giggled as the carriage came to a stop in front of the modiste. "I don't believe so. Frederick and I have spoken about it, and we believe that three children is enough."
The two of them stepped out of the carriage and walked inside the modiste shop. As they entered, they were welcomed by the shopkeeper who immediately started showing them different fabrics for their gowns. After choosing their desired material and color, they each took turns stepping onto the pedestal to be measured and fitted. Once all of the measurements were done properly, they gave the shopkeeper the required payment and stepped out of the shop. They would be receiving their garments within the week.
As they walked down the main street of London, glancing at the various shops and cafés that lined either side, Amelia felt buoyant. She was engaged to Nicholas, and the announcement of their engagement was going to be made public at the Christmas soirée the following week. She was no longer going to be having the misfortune of getting to see George. She was no longer going to have to hear his rude remarks about her. She was going to be loved and adored by her new husband and her new family.
After perusing a few more shops and then having tea at a local café, Rachel and Amelia climbed back into the carriage and asked the driver to take them to Richmond Hall. They couldn't wait to see the final product that the dressmaker was going to prepare for them. They knew that both of their gowns would be beautiful. They continued laughing and talking with joy as the carriage drove toward home.