Chapter 7 (The Witch is Sick?)

(JENNIE'S POV.)

" There's no need to inform her about this."

"But Chairman. Shouldn't Miss Jenn----"

"Enough". Once again, he coughed and coughed until his white handkerchief was dyed with blood.

He leaned on the seat and closed his eyes.

"To the Hospital. "

Freddie Kim took a deep breath and opened his mouth to speak.

"John, did you know why I hide my illness from Jennie?"

Assistant John shook his head while driving. He had been with chairman Kim for almost ten years, he had seen and heard things that could even wake up the dead. Even the deepest secret of the Kim family was known to him but the only thing that he couldn't understand was chairman Kim's reluctance to tell his granddaughter about his current state and the reason of his illness.

"This subordinates doesn't understand Chairman's reason. Chairman should inform Miss Jennie about your illness. Miss Jennie will be broken hearted if she finds out that you tried to hide your illness from her."

"Jennie Kim looks tough and strong outsidre but that's just her way of protecting herself-----of protecting me.

Ever since both of her parents died in that car accident. Jennie became antisocial. She withdraw from the outside world and shut heself off.

Kim family is very complex and it's not a secret that all of her aunts and uncles are eyeing the company, wanting to swallow Kim International that Jonathan and I worked so hard."

Freddie opened his eyes and retreieved a picture hidden inside his wallet.

"Jonathan and Leonor never want to drag Jennie in the power struggle within the family. But it is I who push Jennie into this mess.

When she was still small, Jennie was a dazzling little girl. Her smile is a bright as the sun. She's very lively and naughty.. like a normal child.

But everything changed when she was forced to mature early. Like a bird that was caught in a golden cage. She lost her wings and her ability to fly."

John went silent after hearing Chairman's Kim words. Few minutes later he said,

"Chairman. I believe it is Miss Jennie's own decision to take over the family business. I know Miss Jennie doesn't regret abandoning everything in order to protect you. If I may say,  Miss Jennie is happy even if she has no freedom as long as you are happy, Chaiman."

Freddie shook his head.

"No matter how beautiful and precious the cage is in the end, it is still a cage.
  How could a birdie be happy being imprisoned? It has to fly and soar above the sky."

Maybe due to remembering the past. Freddie Kim suddenly felt depressed amd starting coughing again.

"Chairman."

John suddenly felt awful. He really wanted to inform Jennie but he was just a subordinate and he had to obey the chairman not because he was afraid to get fired but because John knew that this kind of situation, outsiders should not meddle in.

"Just drive to the hospital. You must not let anybody know about my illness, especially those white- eyed wolves, lurking in the shadow."

"Yes, Chairman Kim. This subordinates understand. "

--------

Jennie woke up in a daze. She sat up and looked at the wall clock.

'10:16 am'