A new generation of pure blood

1980, June 05th

"What shall we call him?" Narcissa looked at her husband tiredly. Her forehead was sweaty, her hair disheveled. In her arms she was holding their son, wrapped in a dark green cloth. The birth itself went without any major problems and lasted just under 12 hours... wasn't that short? If Narcissa's mother had her way, then yes. Because all her daughters lasted well over 30 hours but what did Druella know... definitely not how to give birth to a boy. Narcissa's screams filled the entire house during that awful birth. The house elves were used to that noise late at night but this time the mistress of the house did not scream out of pleasure but out of pain. But when the boy finally arrived, all the suffering was quickly forgotten.

"I don't know...I...I don't want to name him after my father..." he whispered so only she could hear. Narcissa smiled weakly and nodded. "I'd like to name him after you." No, that is not an option. As a middle name, yes, but a unique, special, beautiful, strong nickname was still needed. He looked around the room. The crib had magically entered Narcissa's room, just waiting for the boy to spend his first night in it. The mobile above the crib drew Lucius' attention again. The dragons chased each other again, putting a smile on his face. "Draco?" he finally said. Narcissa's eyes widened. A constellation? Ironically, her husband came up with this idea? A Black family tradition? "I love you. Thank you.", she said and smiled at him.

Lucius sat by Narcissa's bedside for a long time, cradling his son in his arms before the noise in the house grew louder, indicating that the relatives had arrived. Everyone wanted to catch a glimpse of the heir to the House of Malfoy and then share a toast or two with his father and toast the health of mother and child before heading out to the party.

People danced until the wee hours at a time when there wasn't much else to celebrate. Once, it seemed to Lucius in his drunken state, he saw a shadow at the window. The shadow of a woman. It had to be his imagination, the woman reminded him of his mummy, but that couldn't be, she'd been gone for so long... and now she should have the attitude of a middle-aged woman... No, all humbug, dear another sip of champagne! The mood couldn't have been better until suddenly the arrival of a very special guest completely overshadowed the reason for the actual celebration.

Whispers and murmurs, mumbles and mutters went through the crowd as the music stopped and the loud, echoing footsteps of the most powerful wizard of his time resounded through Lucius Malfoy's dining room. "Lucius, my faithful companion... I may congratulate you on your heir! It is an honor for me to toast a new generation of pure blood with you today, with all of you! Let's celebrate, my friends!", the cutting voice of the dark Lord's froze the blood of everyone present. But Lucius wasn't afraid.  Why would he be even? In front of his master? He held out a glass of champagne and tried to say halfway soberly: "To a new generation of pure blood!" And his friends agreed, to a new generation of pure blood...

When the last guest had left the property, Lucius made his way upstairs to his chamber. His life so far has not been the way he wanted it to be when he was a little boy. He had to marry a woman he didn't love and have a child with her. But everything was a lot less bad than expected and today, yes today was definitely the best day of his life. He became a father. Father of a cute little boy and the whole society congratulated him on it, even his own father was proud of him. Finally he had made it. Finally everything would turn out fine and they could live a happy life.

1980, June 06th

"And you're sure about that? I'm half-blood, you know that? Your father will kill you. People will talk about it, think about it Lucius!" Severus was excited. Lucius had just asked him to be Draco's godfather. He, Severus Snape, half-blood. Abraxas would definitely freak out. "I don't care about the old man. He can't do or say anything, the dark lord himself is a half-blood, Sev!" Lucius wasn't wrong. Despite it. "Then you better ask the dark lord." "Are you crazy? We're not that close. Severus, it's thanks to you that we have Draco. It could have been a girl and I and almost certainly Narcissa would have been the laughing stock of the century. 5 years of marriage and then we finally produce a girl... where do you get that?!" Severus shook his head, his friend really had a strange way of seeing things. "Fine. I'll do it. But don't you dare getting killed both, I'm not good with children." Severus assumed. He was now Draco's godfather. Narcissa grinned too. "It suits you though. Such a little- oh come on, Severus...!" she giggled to herself, ignoring the friend who was sitting there with her child in his arms and rolling his eyes.

1981, October 31st

"Do you really have to go? What if you don't come back?" Narcissa held her son in her arms and stood at the top of the stairs. Lucius stood at the bottom of the stairs, wearing a long black cloak and hood. In his hands he held a mask. "Narcissa, I can't just disobey or take paternity leave. This...this isn't a hobby! This is a quest! Something that never ends and must always go on! Especially when the dark lord has an errand for some few among us." Lucius tried to calm her down. "Yes, sis. Besides, I'll take care of your golden boy so he can make you some more cute babies soon, won't he Luci-" "Shut up, Bellatrix. Come on, we're leaving. Narcissa, don't worry, I'll be back at 6 in the morning." Bellatrix was Lucius' partner when the dark lord had special assignments for the two of them. He didn't know why that was. Bellatrix was a good soldier but she was insufferable and could never shut up. Lucius also had a feeling that she was monitoring him for the dark lord. What were they afraid of? That he would run away? Where to?

"Don't pace around like that and be damn quiet, Bellatrix!" They had been walking for hours without even being able to take a break. And for hours they didn't know what had happened to their comrades-in-arms. There were fireworks in the sky and thousands of owls flew through the night. "There's someone in front, I'm asking what happened!" Bellatrix couldn't help it. She had to know what had happened. After returning from their mission and nearly killing off a few of that idiot Dumbledore's supporters, none of the other Death Eaters had appeared at the appointed location. She and Lucius had been the only ones. What happened?

She approached two men who were talking loudly on the street and laughing. "Hey you! Both of you! What's the laughter? What's going on? Why are the birds shitting the streets?!" The expression of a true lady. Bellatrix prided herself on not obeying any of her parents' many rules in adulthood. "Didn't you hear? He's defeated! Dead! Gone!", the short fat man clapped his hands while the tall and thin one told her. "Who? Dumbledore and his insane followers?" Bellatrix didn't understand what the wizard was trying to tell her. "No, HE! HE, whose name must never be mentioned again!"

Lucius didn't understand a word, he stood 20 feet behind Bellatrix and looked up at the sky. The red sparks were beautiful and the owls dancing in the night sky - there it was. Bellatrix's bloodcurdling scream, filled with deep pain. What happened? He looked around and saw his sister-in-law cowering on the ground, crying and convulsing like a child. "What's going on? Bella!" He knelt down next to her, trying to figure out what had happened. The two wizards who were just talking to her were both dead, she must have killed them. With tears streaming down her face, she looked at her brother-in-law and whispered in a shaky voice: "We lost. The dark lord... is gone!"