New Job

"And that's it." I click the next slide which displays my references as Thomas stares at the screen.

"That's amazing." He says, before clapping.

"Did you even understand what I said?" I joke, trying to quell the pleasure his praise elicited.

"Somewhat." He winks and I blink.

"You've never done that before."

Raising a brow, he asks, "Haven't I?"

"Yes."

"Then I'll make sure to do it more often." He says, winking once more while I avert my gaze, chiding myself for being affected by such a small act.

"Well," I say, standing. "That's it."

"Do you want to head to the park?" Thomas asks and I look at him. I'm about to say yes when I have a better idea.

"What about going to a restaurant? It's something I do whenever I'm home– eating at different restaurants. I call it restaurant haunting."

"Restaurant haunting?" He asks, amusement lacing his tone.

"Yes, restaurant haunting." I defend, folding my arms.

"Relax," He chuckles. "I wasn't going to say anything bad, I'm just surprised, haven't heard that before."

"Then I'll be glad to introduce you to it." I wink, deciding there's no harm in it.

He blinks in surprise before a full blown grin spreads out on his face. "You haven't done that before." He mimicks.

Grabbing a purse while putting on my sneakers, I reply, "There's a first time for everything. You can grab whatever you need."

"I don't need anything." He says, before falling silent as I tie my shoe laces. "That was why you came." He says more to himself after a while but I hear him and freeze.

If my guess is correct, he's talking about the first time I ate at hot and tasty.

Resuming my tying, I do so in feigned concentration. "Yes, it is." I stand, approaching the door so we can head out but he doesn't budge. "What?" I ask, when he studies me silently. The urge to hide gnaws at me when I realize what he might be thinking.

"You always ate at hot and tasty." He states quietly and I avert my gaze to the laptop on my table.

"I guess."

"Why?" He asks softly, earning my gaze. The intensity with which he stared at me that day is evident in his eyes once more. There were many more times he stared at me like that and now, just like those times, I can't help getting lost in his gaze.

"The food was surprisingly great for it's name." I reply, feeling some strands of hair dangling across my cheek.

"That's all?" He asks, his gaze trailing the hair from my temple, down my cheek to my lips where they rest.

Unable to speak, I nod. I couldn't tell him it was because of him– because he had somehow managed to infiltrate my thoughts with his smile and intense stares. I've never felt this way before and as electrifying as it feels, it's also scary.

Nodding, he tears his gaze away from my lips, walking out the door as I follow him, my pulse returning to it's normal rhythm.

~~~~~

"So?" I ask, wiping the sides of my mouth with the serviette as Thomas does the same.

"Lovely." He replies simply with a smile.

"Tell me about it." I sigh in contentment, dropping my serviette on the empty plate.

"Thomas." Someone greets on getting to our table. He's a middle-aged man I've never seen before.

"Mr Bernard," Thomas greets shaking the man's hand as he stands.

"No, no. There's no need for that." The man says but Thomas waves him off.

"I'm about heading to the restroom, it's nothing." He smiles before looking at me. "Bailey, meet Mr. Bernard, my boss. Mr Bernard, Bailey is a very good friend of mine." He introduces and I shake the man's hand, wary of the sudden spark of interest in his eyes.

"You're in good hands, I'll be right back." Thomas says to me before leaving.

With every step he takes, I feel my friendliness dim and I take out my phone.

"Miss Bailey," Mr Bernard starts, and I look at him. "I'll be quick before he gets back but I'm a bit worried about Thomas. I heard of what happened and since he returned I've gotten worried comments from coworkers about him." He says, gaining my full attention.

"I'm wondering if you would be interested in a job offer for his sake. If you'll be a waitress at my restaurant temporarily to keep an eye on him, that would be nice." He finishes.

Thinking about it, I reply, "As tempting as that is, I'm not very sure he would appreciate that."

"Oh," Mr Bernard says before nodding slowly. "Very well, I just wanted you to know."

Drumming my fingers on the table, I stop when an idea pops up in my head. "Do you need a data analyst?" I ask and his eyes light up.

"I do! I've been meaning to get one, it's one of the reasons I'm here." He says, referring to the restaurant.

"I'm a student in my last year of college but I can help with data analysis while being a waitress to keep an eye on Thomas."

"That would be perfect." He says, extending his arm which I shake with a small smile. I don't notice Thomas approaching us till I hear him clear his throat, a questioning gaze directed at our hands.

Pulling my hand away from Mr. Bernards, I hold my phone instead.

"Thomas," Mr. Bernard says, standing. "I hope you'll be happy to hear we have a new data analyst in the person of Bailey." He finishes as Thomas looks at me. I reply with a shrug, hoping he isn't suspicious.

"Are you sure?" He asks me and I nod.

"Yes, I am." I reply, hoping I made the right decision.

Keep reading 😊