Stay

On entering Thomas' room, I force myself to walk at the doctor's pace and not run to his bedside.

"He has a mild concussion from the impact but the result of the CT scan shows it's not something to worry about. He also fractured his left wrist." My gaze lands on the cast. "We would like to monitor him for a few days to be sure." Dr. Robbins informs me.

Pulling the bedside chair closer to his sleeping form, I brush back some strands of hair from his forehead, pacified by the sound of his breathing. Looking at the doctor I ask, "Does he know about his father..."

"Yes, he does. When he woke up and we were sure there are no major injuries, we informed him of his parents' states and he lost consciousness."

My chest constricts as I look at him once more. He'll be devastated.

"We'll give you a moment. Pease let us know if something goes wrong by pressing that." Dr. Robbins says finally, pointing at a red button on the side of the bed before leaving with Mrs. Laura.

Tentatively, I place my fingers on his cheek and stroke it as protectiveness wells up in me. "I won't leave you alone." I promise silently about to remove my hand but Thomas' hand encloses mine. Startled, I look at his eyes to find them shut.

"Don't." He whispers and my gaze moves to his lips to make sure I'm not hallucinating. After squinting and blinking numerously to adjust to the lighting, his eyelids flutter open gracing me with eyes filled with pain. His throat bobs before he starts, "My dad..."

"I know." I cut him off, unable to bear the pain in his eyes, let alone hear it.

"I kil..."

Cutting him off sharply, I retort "You did no such thing!" Before placing my other hand on his left cheek. "Look at me." I command and he obliges, "It was an accident and you did nothing wrong." I finish and he closes his eyes, face contorting in pain.

Feeling teary, I clench my jaw willing myself not to cry. "Thank you for coming." He finally says.

"There's no way I wouldn't have." I manage a small smile when he looks at me again. He nods and looks away, guilt evident on his face.

Retracting my hands, I ask. "Have you eaten anything?" To which he shakes his head, still not looking at me. "Alright, I'll ask around and get you something-" I stand before adding, "it's not debatable." When he wants to dissuade me.

~~~~~

Smiling at the lady who serves the food, I say "Thank you." She smiles in return before leaving. "No, don't." I discourage, once he sits up and reaches for a plate. "I'll feed you." I scoot closer and place the tray on my lap as I start feeding him the sweet potato vegetarian chilli.

"Thank you." He says solemnly after swallowing- finally looking me in the eyes.

"What are friends for?" I ask, feeding him a spoonful. "There's chilli here..." I start, reaching out to the upper side of his left lip with my thumb. Once my skin makes contact with his, he stiffens and my gaze travels from his lips to his eyes darkened in desire, studying me.

Heart racing, I retract my hand shakily and drop my gaze to the food.

'This is neither the time nor place.' I chide myself before casual licking the chili on my thumb and Thomas groans softly. My eyes snap up to find his eyes closed and brows furrowed.

"What? Does anything hurt?" I ask in concern.

"Yes... No, no nothing hurts." He strains, letting out a deep breath before opening his eyes.

~~~~~

It's 9pm and I haven't been able to make arrangements for my accommodation. After asking and being told there are no available rooms, my last resort is to book a room in a hotel nearby.

"Were you able to get one?" Thomas asks once I enter his room and close the door.

"No but there's a hotel nearby, I'll book a room there." I reply, carrying my backpack. "I'll be back as soon as possible, I'll sleep just a bit."

"Or you could stay here... With me, on the bed." He adds and I look at him incredulously.

"You can't be serious, I don't want to hurt you."

"I'm very serious, I don't want to be alone." He admits and I lower my backpack before placing it on the chair again.

"You are not alone." I whisper.

"Then stay with me." He says softly and I give in. Rolling my hair into a bun, I carefully lay on his right trying not to cause any pain. "Relax. I'm not in pain." He says, noting my stiffness.

"Are you sure?" I ask, tilting my head upwards. His face is so very near and I fight the urge to look at his lips.

Brushing some stubborn strands away from my forehead, he replies "positive." And my heart quivers.