Friends?

Over the past two weeks, it has become a tradition for Thomas and me to meet at the park on weekends once he's done with his shift. When we aren't together, we're talking over the phone. Suffice it to say I now know what it feels like to talk to someone for more than an hour.

We talk about anything and everything bordering on our personalities, families, friends or lack of friends on my part.

I throw some crumbs at the ducks who quickly devour them, quacking even louder while bobbing their heads faster. I smile at their excitement as I remember Thomas telling me that's what they meant.

Thomas.

"I see the ducks have beat me to making you smile today." I hear the object of my thoughts whisper into my ear as he sneaks up behind me.

My treacherous heart leaps and I turn my head to the left not realizing how close he is. I suck in a breath, gazing at his lips a finger's breath from mine before looking into his eyes that are fixated on my lips in desire.

"Hi," I whisper, mesmerized by the battle for control evident in his eyes.

Is he going to kiss me? Would I resist?

He painstakingly tears his gaze away from my lips, meeting my eyes before blinking and taking a step back. Realizing he won't kiss me, I let out a breath of disappointment.

I wouldn't have resisted.

He scratches the back of his ear, sitting beside me as usual while I observe him. "The ducks look happy." He says, after watching them silently and I stifle another sigh since he doesn't mention the incident.

"Yeah, they are. The duckling seems to be getting along with everyone better." I note.

"Good things take time." He remarks and I get the feeling he isn't talking about the duckling alone. I'm about to ask if my suspicions are correct when he looks at me, "I'm travelling tomorrow." Surprised at the sudden revelation, I forget about my question. "With my parents. It's not much of traveling since we'll be back tomorrow evening but I'm letting you know cause we won't be able to meet." He finishes.

"Oh," I say before shrugging in an attempt to deflect my disappointment. "It's alright. Hope everything is fine though?" I ask

"Yeah, yeah. It's nothing major; my parents' health check-up at our hospital."

"Okay, drive safely. Call once you get there and return."

"I will. I think Bas is doing more than getting along. He's been with her for quite some time." He adds with an amused smile at two ducklings playing around.

"Bas?" I ask, trying not to laugh.

"Yes, Bas." He defends, "I think it's a great name."

"It is not!" I somewhat yell not being able to stifle my laughter. "Imagine I call you Thomy."

"Thomy." He repeats, testing the name before shaking his head. "That's ridiculous but Bas isn't."

"They're both ridiculous."

"Bas." He calls and surprisingly, the duckling looks in our direction.

"You have got to be kidding me." I blink, in disbelief.

"Hi, Bas. I'm Thomas but my friends call me Thomy." He continues in all seriousness, earning a chuckle from me before I sober up on realizing he just called me his friend.

"Your friends?"

"Actually," he says looking at me, "one friend. It would be best if the rest don't call me that." A smile breaks out on my face, the mirth in his eyes contagious. His eyes deviate to my lips with a flicker of desire as his smile wavers.

'Kiss me.' I want to yell, but my lips feel too heavy to form words.

"Bailey," He calls softly before leaning in."You are a very beautiful woman." Hesitating a few inches away, he kisses my cheek before whispering in my ear, "Thank you for being my friend."

The warmth that spreads throughout my chest is unbearable and it leaves me wondering how it would feel to be kissed by him... For the umpteenth time.

All these missed shots are driving me crazy too😩😂.
Keep readingg.