Truce

On getting over my shock, I refrain from asking what she's doing here since it doesn't matter.

"Welcome home." I say skeptically while her eyes remain on Thomas.

"What a warm welcome this is." She remarks, sarcasm lacing every word. I'm about to retort when I feel pressure on my hand; it's encased in Thomas' larger one, as he gives mine a gentle squeeze.

Once he lets go, I quietly grab my plate and return to the dining table. "Mum, meet my friend Thomas. He's staying with me for the mean time." I introduce.

"Friend." She echoes, reluctantly shaking Thomas' outstretched hand.

"Yes, my friend." I defend as we get into a heated stare.

"I'll only be staying temporarily; a week at most." He adds in attempt to reduce the tension.

"Does your father know about it?" Mum asks and I stiffen which she quirks an eyebrow to.

"He doesn't, it's only for a short while."

"Bailey," She starts, exasperatedly.

"You're both never here, I didn't think it'll matter." I retort and she's about to reply but she remains quiet for a while.

Rolling her luggage, she heads to her room and Thomas sits across from me.

"If it's a problem..." He starts but I cut him off.

"It's not." I say, letting go of my fork since I've lost my appetite. "I didn't realize how alone I felt till we became friends and having you here has been amazing." I let out a breath, looking him in the eye. "It's not a problem, it's a blessing– you're a blessing." I finish with a small smile.

Placing his hands over mine, his eyes remain on mine as he says, "You have been a blessing too. Thank you, you make healing a lot less painful." He caresses the back of my hand with his thumb, flashing me his signature smile as we continue staring at one another, unaware of my mother's gaze.

~~~~~

Feeling thirsty, I roll out of bed before looking at the clock. It's 6am. Slipping into my slippers, I head to the kitchen but fall short on seeing my mother.

"Bailey," She calls once she spots me. She returns her attention to the pan where eggs are frying.

"Goodmorning." I greet, warding off the slight longing the sight of her cooking evoked. One too many times, I had yearned for this– waking up to my mother's cooking and carrying homemade meals to school. After many years of hopeless yearning, I got used to it and numbed the ache.

Grabbing a glass, I fill it with water, heading back to my room.

"Are you ready to eat?" She asks and I'm about to say no when my stomach grumbles. Shoot.

Replying, "I guess." I turn back on my heels, sitting on a stool near the counter.

"Did you sleep well?" She asks, dishing the fried potatoes and eggs into three plates.

"I did."

We set the food on the dinning table before she turns to me.

"You shouldn't have let him stay without informing us." She starts and I'm about to respond when she holds up her hand, stopping me. "Nevertheless, I can tell he's good for you from the little I've seen." She says before her eyes start tearing up. "I am so sorry we've had to leave you alone." She places a hand on my cheek and I resist the urge to lean into it. "You are beautiful and strong and I'm so very sorry."

I blink, warding of the tears that threaten to fill up my eyes as she caresses my cheek. "I'm sorry for not letting you know." I say simply, not knowing what to reply her apology. Sorry can't change a thing but I truly understand. I only wish my heart would understand too without longing for more. "Thomas is a great guy." I add and she observes me silently before saying,

"He likes you too."

I avert my gaze to the food, trying not to blush. "I don't know what you're talking about. We're friends and he got into an accident with his parents. His dad didn't survive it but his mum's in coma while he fractured his wrist."

"That explains the cast." Mum replies, sitting on one of the dinning chairs as I nod. "But it doesn't explain you kissing with such vigour." She shoots me a knowing look as I chuckle nervously.

"I'll let him know breakfast is ready." I saw, scurrying away from her. Resting my hand on the guestroom door, I let out a breathe. I can't help wondering if mum is right. He wouldn't have kissed me so fervently if he didn't like me right?

Without a warning, the door opens in and I lose my balance, falling face first before I'm caught by Thomas.

"Oh," I whisper when my body is plastered against his, his arm securely wrapped around my waist.

"Goodmorning," He greets huskily and my stomach flips.

"Goodmorning. I came to let you know breakfast is ready, mum prepared something." I ramble as he gazes at me.

"Alright, thank you." He says, placing a kiss on my forehead before releasing me slowly. "Shall we?" He asks and I nod mutely, not trusting my ability to speak.

Almost donee.
One more chapter😊