Always Here

My eyes flutter open on feeling something feathery on my cheek.

"Goodmorning." Thomas greets huskily, caressing my cheek- with his left hand. In a cast!

Distracting myself from the pleasure of his touch, I trace his cast. "Isn't that painful?"

"Uncomfortable, yes. Not painful." He replies, his hand still on my cheek as I look into his eyes shyly. "Hope you slept well."

"I did. Did you?" I ask before noting his eyebags and speaking before he can. "You didn't. Was it because of me?" I ask in concern, about to sit up.

"Please don't." He begs and I relax. His eyes take on a haunted look and my chest constricts. "I couldn't sleep well, I was... Thinking."

"It is not..." I start but he cuts me off.

"It's not fair, it's not fair that I made it out with a concussion and minor wrist fracture." He conplains, raising his left hand for emphasis before furrowing his brows. "Bailey, my father died and my mother..." He gulps, laying on his back with his hand at his side.

I prop my head up with my left elbow. "Have you seen her?"

"No, I don't think I can." He pinches the bridge of his nose, eyes closed.

Prying his hand away from his face, I beg, "look at me." He does so reluctantly. "I can't say I know how you feel but it's okay to feel this way." Placing my hand on his cheek, I offer a small smile. "What I do know is I'm here and I'll always be here. Whatever you need." I finish and he looks at me, gratitude in the depths of his eyes.

Staring into the endless blue of his eyes, I realize how much I mean every word.

~~~~~

"How are you feeling?" Dr Robbins asks after entering the room with nurse Laura in tow.

It's 12pm and we've had the opportunity to freshen up. I'm sitting on the bedside chair while Thomas is sitting up on the bed.

"Fine." He replies.

"Alright. No pain, nausea, vomiting?" He clarifies

"None."

"That's good." Dr Robbins puts on an encouraging smile and nurse Laura does the same when I look at her. "We injected you with some painkillers yesterday. They would wear off soon so if you have any headache or pain, we can give you some more. If you don't have any today and tomorrow then you're most likely be fit to be discharged. You need plenty of rest though- that's the ultimate in your condition." He finishes and I sigh in relief at all he has said. Thank God.

"How's my mum?" Thomas asks.

"She's stable, no decline which is good. Not much improvement but it's too soon to worry since the trauma to her brain isn't mild." Dr Robbins hesitates before adding, "Would you like to see her?" Thomas looks away, his internal battle evident on his face. "If you don't..."

Cutting Dr. Robbins off, he says, "I would." I look at him, silently asking if he's sure which he nods to.

"Alright then." With that, we all head to the ICU. Dr. Robbins and nurse Laura leading with Thomas and I in tow.

On getting there, we listen to the beeping of the heart monitor silently as Thomas takes in his mother's sleeping form. I look down to find his hand clenched so I cover it with mine. It doesn't take long for him to entwine our hands, his gaze solely on his mother while mine is on him. I squeeze his hand, not knowing how to ease the frown on his face and he squeezes back.

"We can give you a moment if you wish, would you like that?" Dr. Robbins asks and Thomas' Adam's apple bobs before he responds.

"Yes please." I squeeze his hand once more before exiting with Dr. Robbins and nurse Laura.

I have nothing to say but I feel like typing🥺😂.
Hope you're enjoying it so far.
Yes, yes the chapters are short but remember it's a short story😉.
Thanks for readingg.