Horrible News

Strange.

It's 3pm and still no call or text from Thomas. He called 5 hours ago to let me know they were almost there but nothing else since then- even after I called an hour ago.

Ignoring the feeling of dread, I focus on the data I'm analysing for my project. After 4 hours of collecting and cleaning, I'm not halfway through the analysis.

He'll call me back once he sees my calls.

I stand, stretching before my phone rings with 'Thomy' flashing on the screen. Finally! "Thomy," I call, unable to hide my excitement once I pick the call.

My excitement quickly transforms into confusion on hearing a foreign voice say, "Hello. Am I speaking with Miss Bailey?"

"Yes, you are. Who's this?" I ask tentatively.

"I'm Mrs Laura. What are you doing right now- are you driving or cooking?" She asks and the dread I felt earlier mounts.

"No. I'm not doing anything at the moment."

"Alright... Mr Thomas has been involved in an accident."

God, no! My heart sinks and I drop my phone on the desk, hands shaking.

"You're the last person he called and since he was with his parents, you're the first person we thought of calling. Are you his sister?" She asks, and I shake my head in reply before realizing she can't see me. "Miss Bailey, I understand you're in shock but I need you to remain strong; if not for me, for Thomas."

"I'm not his sister." I say quietly, staring blankly at the phone before saying, "I'm his friend."

"He's in Jackson hospital. Do you know any relatives we can contact or can you come here?"

"He has an aunt but she lives far away; her name is Martha. If you can send the address, I'll be there as soon as possible. How are his parents?" I ask holding my breath.

Please let them be okay.

After an agonizing pause, she sighs "When you get here you can see everything for yourself." Fair enough.

"I'll be right there."

"Drive safely." She says, hanging up as I massage my temple, wondering how it happened.

"Okay, Bailey. Think of all the things you need." I mutter while rummaging my wardrobe for clothes and supplies, stuffing them into a backpack. Sending a prayer heaven ward for not telling dad, I grab my keys and head to the garage.

~~~~~

Three hours later, I arrive at the hospital, almost running up to the receptionist. "Hi. Good evening, I'm Bailey Steward. Mrs Laura called me concerning a friend's accident."

"Good evening. If you can wait a moment, I'll send for her." She does just that and it doesn't take long for a middle-aged woman with sandy hair in a tight bun to materialize.

Putting on a pleasant smile, she greets. "Miss Bailey, thank you for coming."

"Thank you for calling. Where are they?" I ask, cutting to the chase.

"They're in various units. The doctor would be here... Ah, here he comes." She says, as a man in black rimmed spectacles approaches us.

"Miss Bailey," he starts. "I'm Dr. Robbins and I'm in charge of the Danes. If you would come along we'll go to their rooms." He takes me to the ICU first where Thomas' mother is connected to various beeping machines, bruises all over her body.

"How did it happen?" I whisper, more to myself.

"We don't know for sure but it happened at an intersection, a truck slammed into the passenger's side where his father was seated with his mum at the back seat." The doctor says, solemnly.

"His dad... Where is he?" I ask but wish I didn't when Mrs Laura looks away.

"Unfortunately," No. "He passed away. We tried all we could." Thomas would be devastated.

"Please take me to Thomas." I whisper and the doctor leaves the room with the nurse and I in tow, my heart as heavy as a rock.

What do you think would happen next?🥺
Keep reading.