7: A Tense Decision

20 BBY | Month 7, Day 26
Planet Coruscant | 16:03

The rain pours heavily on Coruscant, each drop creating a rhythmic symphony that fills the space around the Marauder. Inside the ship, Noble and Tech have made themselves comfortable. They sit in the passengers, a board game spread out on Gonky's surface who sits between them.

Hunter, Crosshair, and Wrecker have ventured into the bustling markets of Coruscant to restock their supplies, leaving Noble to rest after the devastating news of her friend Gregor's apparent death. Tech decided to stay back to keep her company, even though he's unaware of the full extent of her sorrow.

Noble moves her piece with a sigh, calculating his possible moves. "Your turn."

Tech studies the board, a tactical mind working out the best move. He then makes his move after a moment of thought. "Your move, Noble."

The game continues quietly, the two of them lost in thought as they engage in their strategic battle. Noble's mind occasionally drifts to the memories of Gregor, remembering him, the conversations they shared, the laughter they enjoyed, and the warmth cherished. It's a silent battle within her, hidden behind her calm exterior.

As the game progresses, Tech breaks the silence. "Noble, I've been meaning to ask you something."

Noble looks up from the board, her curiosity piqued. "What's on your mind?"

Tech leans back, hands behind his head to stretch slightly, trying to frame his question carefully. "I've noticed something about you—your abilities... You mentioned meeting General Kenobi. Why didn't the Jedi Order accept you as a Jedi if you're force-sensitive?"

Noble's eyes hold a complex mix of emotions. "Well, it starts with the Kaminoans who didn't like that I was born the way I was... I was an experiment, still kinda am, always a challenge to my... maker, Lina Ru. The Jedi Order never accepted me because, according to their rules, I was too old for training, but I was being trained by another Jedi from time to time, though I didn't know him personally, nor did I ever see his lightsaber, I never got one. I believe he was a good man though, very elegant..."

Tech nods, absorbing the information, but he also senses the weight of her past and her lost opportunities. He can't help but feel a sense of sympathy for her.

Noble realizes that she's won the game. With a triumphant smile, she announces her victory. "Checkmate."

Gonky, the power droid, beeps and whirrs excitedly, adding its own celebratory sounds to the mix. Tech laughs as Gonky's enthusiastic response. "Well done, Noble. I can't seem to beat you at this."

Noble chuckles in return, the melancholy momentarily lifted. "It's all about strategy, genius. It seems I have distracted you."

"Likely, but... let's not go into detail," he replies.

As the rain continues to pour outside, and the soft pattering of water on the ship, Tech finds himself growing more comfortable in Noble's presence. His feelings for her are beginning to change, though he tries to hide them for now. Noble remains oblivious of course, too focused on Gonky.

With the board game completed, Tech looks out at the rain drenched cityscape before turning his gaze back to Noble. There's a curiosity in his eyes as he realizes the depth of her experiences.

"Is there a memory from your childhood that still sticks with you? Something you remember?"

Noble pauses, considering his question. "Hmm. I do have one memory, one that always stuck. Back on Kamino, I remember the way the waves crashed against the platform where we lived. There was something calming about it. I used to sit by anything just to watch the rain, to listen to the waves. It made me happy... calm. Like it called out to me."