Love Candidate - Shadow Man - Chapter 32

Third Person POV

Taehyung sat in his car, parked beside Jiyoung's fence after Jimin got off to inform Jiyoung of their arrival. He quietly leaned back with a file in his hand to smile at his child's ultrasound capture on the medical document.

He finally had a family— a wife and child.

Never would he have imagined having a perfect family like this. He spent most of his life wasting his time on temporary pleasures, using drugs, women, and alcohol to entertain himself because that was his definition of happiness. Or not. Honestly, it was only a good distraction because he was uncertain of his purpose in life. Why is he alive? He never knew. He had money. He had friends. He had women. He had everything he wanted. And yet, he'd lay awake at night with a scary void inside his hollow chest. Is that all there is to his life? If he had everything, then why is he not satisfied? Why is he so empty? The thoughts scared him. Everything was evolving so fast-- it felt like he was stranded in the same position as he watched the world speed past him. Everything is spinning too fast, and he's too misplaced to figure out his set direction.

But it worked out. It worked out in the end. Jiyoung entered his life when he least expected her. He suddenly didn't feel so frightened anymore with her around. Maybe it's the way... she makes him forget the problems in his life. Maybe, it's the way she holds him in her arms. Maybe, it's the way her warmth flourished his love scarcity. Maybe... he never needed everything. Maybe... a person of comfort was all he needed to find a purpose in life. It wasn't like she was his everything because he was head over heels for her. It wasn't like that at all. Jiyoung and Taehyung both had missing chunks to their uncompleted puzzles... and weirdly... she has all his missing pieces. The edges and the ridges... fitting so perfectly with one another. Together. They completed each other.

Love is beautiful, and Taehyung finally understood that. Love isn't perfect. Love isn't just happiness. Love isn't merely about falling in love. It's about growing the love with the person you love. It blooms. And it withers... and with a little patience... it will bloom again. The cycle of love is just like a flower. It blooms so beautifully. And then it withers. The petals begin to fall... but it's not the end. It'll bloom again as long as it's being watered and taken care of.

Love blooms, just like flowers.

Taehyung blinked out of his thought when his phone started ringing, so he placed the document on the passenger seat and lifted his phone to find Jimin's contact on the screen.

"Why is he calling me? And what's taking Jiyoung so long?" Taehyung frowned, briefly glancing at Jiyoung's house. He didn't answer Jimin's call and got out of the car to enter the house with a curious expression.

"Yah? Why are you calling me? Jiyoung, we need to head home! It's getting late- you have to take your prescribed medication! We also have a maternity appointment tomorrow morning," Taehyung shouted from the base of the stairs when he noticed Jimin wasn't downstairs.

"She's not home," Jimin's voice replied from the floor above.

"What do you mean? She told me she came to visit her house," Taehyung dismissively walked away from the stairs to sit on the couch, leaning back on the leather cushion to soothe his sore back with his arm tucked under his head.

"Can you see her shoes downstairs?" Jimin asked. Taehyung glanced briefly toward the doorway, and sure enough... her shoes were on the rack.

"Yeah. What's the matter? Is she really not home?" Taehyung sat up on the couch in confusion. Jimin stopped responding, and the house suddenly grew hushed. Taehyung frowned at the vacant stairs as he perched awkwardly on the couch, waiting for a response. He lost his patience and stomped up the stairs to find Jimin kneeling inside Jiyoung's bedroom.