Love Candidate - Gaslighter - Chapter 19

I immediately bolted out of my stepfather's office after confirming the controversy associated with the Kim Family. I won't listen to him! This can't be happening right when I thought I had someone?! Thud. I shoved my door open and hurried inside my house to find Jimin stumbling down the stairs in a hurry. He stopped abruptly to stare at me with a dreadful expression.

"Did you see the news?" Jimin stared at me in horror.

"What news?!" I frowned. Jimin hurried towards the living room to grab the remote to switch on the TV. He repeatedly switched the channels until he landed on a news channel. My heart sunk as the reporter briefed about a chaebol family murder controversy.

"-The suspect is believed to be the youngest son-" I hastily snatched the remote control out of Jimin's hand to switch off the TV after hearing the statement on the news. Why is my life like this!? Jimin immediately grabbed my arm when my feet suddenly wobbled at the overwhelming shockwave as I struggled to grasp the dire situation.

"Jiyoung, it's Taehyung. He killed- Jiyoung?! Jiyoung!?" Jimin tried to comfort me, but my mind was too stuffed with terrifying thoughts to focus on his words. I sprinted out of my house as fast as my legs could carry me to stop a cab on the street and quickly go in. I gripped my hands in tears as I sat in the back seat, stubbornly resisting the uncomfortable dizziness to calm my shaken condition. I'm tired of this. I'm tired of having my life ruined!

"Jiyoung? Wait- now isn't the time to see him," Yoongi suddenly appeared after stepping out of the apartment with a drained expression. He halted when he found me striding up to him.

"Where's Taehyung?" I questioned while staring at him with my glowering eyes and tried to push past him.

"He's inside- He's a mess, so I don't think you should see him-" Yoongi blocked me from entering the apartment with an anxious face.

"I want to see him," I gritted sternly with my piercing eyes trained on Yoongi's pale expression.

"The media might disclose the truth if they reinvestigate the case," Yoongi exhaled.

"Let me inside," I insisted, impatiently gripping my fists when Yoongi refused to let me through. I want to hear Taehyung's side of the story, and I will not listen to anyone else until I see him first.

"Look. This is a sensitive topic for Taehyung. He's been coping with it for years," Yoongi bitterly sighed as he studied my fuming frustration.

"I said I want to see him," I softened my voice to plead him. Yoongi gulped in difficulty when I refused to back away, eventually stepping aside to hold the door open for me.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me," Yoongi sighed in defeat. I nodded nervously and strode into the apartment after he closed the door behind me. I glanced at the living room to find Taehyung sitting on the couch in his night robe, barely covering his shirtless torso.

"Taehyung?" I whispered, cautiously walking up to him as he kept his vacant expression trained on the news on the TV screen with tears in his eyes. My heart dropped when I realized he was holding a gun in his hand. He didn't seem to notice my presence as he glared at the screen with a broken yet angered gaze. I shakily reached for the remote to switch off the TV because I knew the rubbish on the news was tearing him apart with their subjective claims. Taehyung slowly averted his deadly eyes to me as I stood before him in tears without uttering a single word.

"Leave me alone," Taehyung demanded in a low voice. His face was as pale as a ghost, and his lips were still bloody from being struck by his father earlier at Namjoon's office.

"I don't want to," I exhaled and tried to advance toward him when he suddenly snapped the gun at me in anger.

"I SAID LEAVE!" Taehyung roared in tears. My heart thumped against my ribs in fear as I stood paralyzed, standing at gunpoint. Taehyung is unstable. Maybe I should leave?