thirty four

"mom? Dad?" There were Cassandra's parents looking as pale as ever. They both turned around and smiled at her. She felt as if she should be happy, jumping up and down with joy.

But she couldn't. She was just frozen. She couldn't move any part of her body. Because this moment should be fake. But it feels way too real.

"No." That's all Cassie can say. "No, you aren't real." She took a step back . "Sweetheart , of course we are." Her mother spoke in a gentle voice. "No, you're not. You're not." Cassie had tears in her eyes.

"I promise you Cassandra we are." Her father said. "I'm going crazy." Cassie ran a hand through her hair. "You aren't crazy." Her mother reassured her. "Yes I am." Cassandra snapped at her parents.

"I am seeing my dead parents on my couch. You really think that's normal." She yelled. She was angry at herself. She thought she was over their death finally. But now she was seeing them somehow.

"I know it sounds crazy but you aren't like your other friends." Her mother got up and began to walk over to her. "You think I don't know that?" Cassie said. Her voice was quiet again.

"I'm a freaking siphon. I hear things in the forest. I see things. Of course I know I'm not normal." Cassie cried. She hated this. She hated the fact that she was crying again. Especially because of her parents.

"Listen to us, please. We'll explain." Her mother put a hand on her shoulder. And she could feel it. "Explain what? How my dead parents are suddenly sat on my couch? " She threw her mother's hand off her shoulder.

"Sweetheart." Her das tried to speak. "You know what, I'm tired and when I go to sleep you'll be gone." Cassie said taking steps away from them. "Cassandra Ellfire." Her mother suddenly snapped.

"We are real, whether you like it or not." She said. She looked angry but was frowning at the same time. Cassie put a hand over her mouth and sobbed.

"Cassie." Her mother's voice was soft and calming as she embraced her daughter in a hug. "How are you here?" She asked her mother between sobs. "You." Her father answered.

"You are more than just a heretic Cassandra." Her mother said rubbing her back. "You can speak to us. Anyone you know that has passed away. You can speak to." Her mother told her.

"I didn't ask to speak to you." Cassandra said sniffling. "But you wanted to." Her mother said. "So, what? I can talk to you whenever I want." Cassie said. If she could talk to them she could talk to Lexi.

"Don't do this often." Her mother said sternly. "It doesn't come for free. " Her mother said suddenly going serious. " It can take a toll on you if you do it too much." Her mother warned her.

"The person who gave you this power didn't give it for free." Her father told her. "Even though you are a vampire, doing this too much can hurt you." Her. Mother explained. "Hurt me? How?" There was never an answer to that question.

Because, once again, the house was silent. And she was alone. Cassie wasn't sure if her parents we're really here . But she would soon.

She woke up the next morning unsure whether seeing her parents again was a dream or not. One part of her hoped it was. The other part of her didn't. She wasn't sure why though.

Cassie got to class early. She didn't bother saying a quick hello to her friends or even walking in with them. She was staring into space looking as miserable as ever when Alaric walked in.

She didn't even notice him until he spoke. "Cassandra, you're early." Alaric said putting down his bag. "I cycled quickly today." She replied still staring forward.