Chapter 4

Starlingclaw twitched from the cold.

Time has passed quickly with the couple of moons. 

Chervilnose spent time with Flailkit, Houndkit was pestering Laurelbarry, Cinnamonkit was with Nightblair, Fawnkit was looking at the highstone with admiration as Corkstar watched over the clan.

"Starlingclaw, can you watch Houndkit? He seems bored. You can teach Shadowpaw, and he can watch." Chervilnose wrapped her tail around Flailkit. Houndkit was the most energetic of the litter, Flailkit was the most clumsy, Cinnamonkit liked to listen to Nightblair's banters, Fawnkit seems reserved, but would often followed Corkstar with admiration.

"Of course. Let's go to the hollow and you too, Shadowpaw." The hollow was a small area attached to the camp, where kits and apprentices roughhouse.

Houndkit squealed happily as he ran off to the hollow.

Thristles covered the hollow, making lots of shade. The main point of it was from birds. Houndkit flipped onto the ground as Shadowpaw kept watch with caution.

"How about we start with a hunting crouch, Shadowpaw?" Starlingclaw observed as Shadowpaw lowered to the ground, his stomach not touching the floor.

"Keep your tail down, when hunting. You are lucky you will have the grass high enough to cover your pelt." Starlingclaw advised.

"Same thing for you, Houndkit. Tail down. Your white fur will be seen during hotleaf, but it snows during frozenleaf, so you do have a advantage." Starlingclaw knew Houndkit will soon be appointed a mentor soon.

"Shadowpaw, how about trying your fighting position?" Starlingclaw suggested. Shadowpaw rised up, and kept her head down.

"Good, now Houndkit?" Starlingclaw turned to Houndkit, who had done it well for a first try.

"Good, that will enough for today. I'll ask Frogcloud about bringing you to a hunting patrol, Shadowpaw." Starlingclaw yawned with a small smile.

"Can I come? I'm nearly an apprentice!" Houndkit leaped towards Starlingclaw eagerly.

"You and your siblings should stay at camp to protect the camp. Plus who will protect the new arrivals of this clan, Moonkit and Sunkit?" Starlingclaw pointed out with slight amusement.

Houndkit stayed silent, Frogcloud was climbing up on the side of the HighStone, waiting for the cats to gather.

"Frogcloud, can Lilystream lead the hunting patrol with Shadowpaw and Spidestripe?" Starlingclaw asked.

Frogcloud nodded. Starlingclaw was too tired for the patrols anyway. 

Starlingclaw returned to the warrior's den with a small flop onto his bedding.

A young kit entered the den, Fawnkit.