Prologue

The moors were dark, but the water glimmered. 

Many cats were resting, while two apprentices were guarding with their leader, Corkstar. 

She was a strict but intelligent. Her deputy, Frogcloud was anxiously staring at the sky.

Nightblair, the medicine cat, was sorting the herbs with Sootstream. While Snowcloud was sleeping.

"Swanpaw, look a vole! That's the first vole I seen since we left!" Shadowpaw was quite overjoyed often, especially around Swanpaw, her best friend despite him being often distant from others.

As for Chervilnose, she was resting peacefully like the other clanmates.

"Shadowpaw, I want you to gather some lily-berries," Nightblair was always busy with all the shortages, due to previous events of the journey. 

"We're doing good through, no drama since we left," Nightblair paused, "We are lucky, but they are never going to last long." 

Shadowpaw wandered off, the grass prickled under her paws, unknown scents loomed the moor, and the sun dawned over.

Shadowpaw found a scent instead voles and mice.

"Slugpaw! Away from the rogue," The unknown tortoiseshell she-cat warned.

"But, Owlstone!"

"Silence, you two volebrains!" A young ginger she-cat interrupted then sighed.

"I recognize your scent. You stole some of our prey, and Poppyclan's prey. Your scent is clear of being the culprit, but you look different from the description that was told. Which must mean there is more loners like you here," The ginger she-cat seemed wise. Shadowpaw assumed she was the leader.

"I'm Firewhisker, this is Owlstone, and Slugpaw, were from Tideclan."

"Don't trust that disgusting loner," the other she-cat told to Slugpaw.

"I told you already. I lead this patrol, volebrain!" Firewhisker replied, annoyed.

"I am not a volebrain. You always treat us like kits," Owlstone glared.

The ginger she-cat sighed a second time, ignoring Owlstone, "Now, tell me, your name?"

"I'm Shadowpaw. I was only gathering lily-berries for Nightblair."

"Shadowpaw? That's a clan name, don't you remember Thornclan?" Slugpaw looked over to Owlstone.

"That's a myth, and plus they only travel to a new territory after a leader dies." Firewhisker went silent.

"He's dead, isn't he?" Her expression turned to surprise.

"Thistlestar? Many have, even Yellowpaw and Tansypaw." Shadowpaw remembered the two apprentices, they were cheerful and full of energy like her. Chervilnose was devastated like everyone else.

"Can we stop talking about what happened? We are supposed to forget about that. That's the purpose why we travel." Shadowpaw glanced away, before being dismissed by the patrol.

The news of Thornclan settling in the territory spread to the two other clans.