¹⁸. ᵀⁱᵐᵉ ᵃⁿᵈ ᴾˡᵃᶜᵉ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 || 𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘗𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦

"HOW'S THE KID DOING?" Natasha's clear voice filled the small testing chamber that Tony had directed Jaxon to with Leah by his side. Currently, Jaxon watched the girl create snowflakes around her. A gentle smile on her lips as she took in her work. A level of innocence Jaxon forgot could exist.

"She's just having fun," he stated, a clearness in his eyes that felt new. A clearness in his mind as he watched Leah move and use her powers for things so innocent. "Might have to find her a family or somebody close to us to take her in. She can't stay here." But snapping his fingers, he motioned toward the girl. "This girl can create a snowstorm in a matter of seconds if she wanted to. Set a vicinity that is affected by her powers and the best part about it? She can't get cold from any of this."

Natasha crossed her arms over her chest and watched Leah as well. A gentle smile on her lips as she glanced at the man beside her. "No problem to take her in yourself, Jaxon," she suggested. "Harry might be willing to take her in for the time being as well-"

"You know that isn't possible, Nat," he interjected. "I can't take care of a kid when I have other priorities. Harry's got enough on his plate as well."

We can.

Jaxon's lips twitched as his hands clenched by his sides. Closing his eyes as he rolled his shoulders back. "Close your thoughts, Natasha," he ordered, swallowing the bittersweet taste of repressed love. "You know why that wouldn't work. I don't need to explain our more than demanding jobs."

The woman pursed her lips. "Would it be too big of a concept to think about it though?" She questioned. "I know I fucked up Jax, but even I looked past your fucked up history-"

"That's because I hid nothing from you. I gave you the decision to leave me when I told you." His words stung, silencing Natasha. He turned his hollow gaze toward her, finding them filled with some sort of ocean that was swallowing her from the inside--restricting the air intake available when being this close to him. To so many unresolved conversations and feelings that still hung over the pair's heads like totems, reminders of the elephant in the room. "But what else are you hiding from me, Natasha? Is there going to be another situation that is going to end up with a bullet in my side or am I safe?"

"You know I wouldn't do anything to hurt you," she spat, rolling her eyes. "You heard what I told you. And if I was to plead with you for hours, would you even listen?" The silence made Natasha hum, nodding. "Thought so."