¹¹. ᴰᵒⁿ'ᵗ ᴸᵉᵗ ᵀʰᵒˢᵉ ᵀʰⁱⁿᵍˢ ᴳᵒ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 || 𝘋𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘓𝘦𝘵 𝘛𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘎𝘰

   JAXON INHALED SHARPLY WHEN HIS EYES OPENED. Not making any sudden movements as he realized they were back in D.C. He blinked a few times, adjusting to the sun that blared down on his unkempt features. Dirt sank into the cuts that were scattered across his face. He was a complete and dishevelled mess.

"She's still alive." Jaxon turned his head to Steve, finding the man glancing over at him. Jason then looked in the back seat to find her laying with his jacket wrapped around her. "You got her out in time before passing out."

"Where are we heading?" Jaxon sighed.

"A friend's place," Steve replied. "He's clean and I trust him. Probably one of the only people we can rely on right now."

"One of the few that isn't dead and buried."

Steve didn't reply. Allowing Jaxon to think back to the dream. To what Zola said about Augustus. He was right, Jaxon had let it burn because of his destroyed moral compass. If he could take it back, he would. He killed two other agents to make sure he got that girl out of there. In return, a whole city went up flames and hundreds of thousands died.

"I saved a president's daughter trying to get the launch codes for the missiles that destroyed Augustus," Jason said. "I hoped that if I kept her alive, maybe she would give us what we needed. But I found out she was working with the Chinese and by the time I realized it, they had already hit the city."

For whatever reason, seeing Steve staring at him under that heated gaze back in the bunker left him feeling guilty. A bit ashamed of himself. "I never wanted those people to die."

"I never said you did."

"But the look you gave said enough," Jaxon replied just as fast. "You're Captain America. The protector of America, the Earth, you might as well be the protector of the universes." A short laugh fell from the man's lips as he ran a hand through his dusty hair. "And if I've lined these pieces up, I failed you."

Steve didn't respond. Opting to try and find the right response to give. But it slowly slipped away from him the longer they sat in silence. With the replacement of silence coming from Natasha, who finally awoke from her sleeping state. Jaxon didn't say anything, instead reaching back and taking the woman's hand. Feeling her squeeze in response, he glanced back at her.

Her hair was a mess and her eyes were barely able to fully open. Dust covered her cheeks with a few cuts here and there. She'd definitely seen better days, but still as beautiful as ever.

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐈𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐃𝐀𝐌𝐍𝐄𝐃 ᴺᵃᵗᵃˢʰᵃ ᴿᵒᵐᵃⁿᵒᶠᶠ ¹On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara