Warm and cold

I woke up to the warmth that I've never felt in my heart before. It was soft and glowing like fire but much pleasent that it couldn't be explained in words.

My eyes were closed but I could feel her warm breaths fanning against my skin. I knew it was wrong, very wrong to hold her here in my embrace but why did it feel so right?

Everything I feel for her feels right.

She stirred a little before I heard her draw in a sharp breath, as if she just realised that she was in bed with me, embracing like I was a pillow. I was prepared to feel the icy cold wind again before she pushed herself away from me. The same ice cold feeling which always resided in my heart, up until last night, until her warmth invaded my heart, my body, and my soul.

Why would she ever voluntarily hug me?

But the coldness never came. The chilly air and icy wind never reached my skin. It was shoved back farther away from me when I felt her body snuggle more against my chest and her hands falling behind my back and holding me closer with her face now buried in my neck.

I opened my eyes in shock, but couldn't see her face and just her purple hair. I wished to see her eyes but she never lifted her head even though I tried to wiggle, which made her tighten her grip around me and made me give up.

" You really plan embrace me all day too? " I asked, my voice teasing and I smiled at the way her ears turned redder.

" Shut up! You're a perfect pillow and I couldn't sleep last night thanks to your talking. So s-stop complaining now. " her voice came out muffled.

I chuckled before letting my muscles loose and finally holding her by her waist. It was really crazy how we were snuggling each other and just until yesterday afternoon we didn't know a thing about each other.

I have a favour to ask from you, vanitas.

You can literally ask me to kill someone for you and I won't hesitate.

I don't want you to kill someone. Not now, at least.

But I want you to keep this, the talk between us a secret from noé. I don't want him to just you know, know about us. He will be just a little overprotective and freaked out and besides I want to tell noé and domi both together.

Yes, I can do that for you.

My eyelids finally became heavy and closed just a minute after. In my heart there was no coldness and only her warmth which ignited like a fire. Finally, I could sleep without those freaking nightmares.

You always complain about the coldness, but I'm assured that you'll find someone who will keep you warm.

You will find someone you can snuggle with like we're right now, for as long as you don't close your heart.

I chuckled internally, the memory still fresh as bread in my mind. I did always complain about cold, I hated that chilly feeling on my skin, it was the only feeling I experienced in that hell for 7 years.

And when I thought I wouldn't be able to see the sun again, won't be able to feel anything again, won't be able to see the colours again, she came.

She is the reason I want to be alive.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚🌼

Y/n's pov

Vanitas was asleep, but I stayed awake. My mind and my body were fighting against each other. My mind wanted me to push him away but my body on its owns held him a lot more close. It was difficult to explain to myself, but it felt like vanitas needs it now.

He doesn't tell anyone about his life and even if he does, it's like nothing bad had ever happened to him. Yet I've watched him never sleep, he's always up in the moonlight in the cold night and staring at the blue moon. This is the first time he's sleeping, peacefully.

He never ever says a word about how he's suffering through all this. I can never imagine what he is feeling on the inside whenever he's faced with the reality he wanted to escape so much from but all I can do is give him some pleasent memories. Protect him from the monsters who try to catch him every night and fight them off till me last breath.

So even if he dies, he won't have to think that his own life was miserable all the times. Even if he's a human, my vampire heart can understand the turmoil he feels on the inside, the suffocating feeling that eats you alive. He's so self destructive yet he is still here.

I tightened my grip around as he wiggled to escape but later relaxed and gave up. I couldn't let go of him. I'm afraid if I do he'll fall into pieces. I hate that he always go through things alone, he never let's anyone see his true self but right now we're together.

Nothing else mattered, not our haunting pasts, not our unpredictable future , not our difference as a vampire and human. In this moment we are together.