⭒ chapter 12

i lied down on the bed, exhausted. i hadn't done much but it was still a ton of work. we took turns slowly digging out the hole we had started.

the lights came on and finney ran over to the bed and jumped onto it.

he threw his head into my neck. pretending we were asleep. that's what we had to do. i shut my eyes and felt as he did the same. my heart was racing.

adrenaline, perhaps.

the door clunked open.

"i know you're not sleeping!" the grabber said. we slowly sat up. "we're starving" i said. "tell me your names" the grabber said. "why do you care?" finney asked.

"i usually don't. i find out eventually in the paper. they always print a nice, big photo with all the details i could ever want. all the things you guys lie about." the grabber said.

"what's different this time?"

"oh.." the grabber started. a dog started barking upstairs. the grabber turned to look back. "oh it's complicated. it's... too complicated. everything's different. nothings going right."

"you could let us go." i said. "i'm thinking about it." the grabber said. we both perked up. "we promise we won't tell anyone" finney said. "scouts honor" i said.

"you can blindfold us, drop us off on the street, we'll walk home." finney said, bargaining. "well tell me your names".

"taylor. taylor mullen." finney said. "jesus christ" i whispered under my breath. "and you?" the grabber motioned towards me. i hesitated for a moment. "ava jenkins." i said. wrong answer.

the grabber only sighed. he threw the tray of food he was holding onto the ground. it made a loud crashing noise and we both jumped.

he took the newspaper that was in his armpit. he threw it at us. finney picked it up and started reading it. i peered over his shoulder.

"RIVER SUBURB ROCKED AS ANOTHER CHILD GOES MISSING" is what the title read. and below it, our faces. and our names.

"i was really starting to like you two, finney and y/n!" holy shit. i knew we were busted. "i almost let you go" he said as he shut the door. and again, didn't lock it.

finney got up and started towards the door. he put his hand on the doorknob.

ringing.

i bursted up and picked up the phone. finney ran over to me and listened from behind my shoulder. "hello?" i asked. "bruce? bill-paperboy?"

nothing.

then a click. i put the phone back up.

i kneeled on the floor, scooping up the eggs that had fallen off the plate. finney was helping me, because i frankly could barely do it by myself.

i mean that this was extremely nasty.

"it's our only meal. we have to eat it." finney said while looking up at me. "no way! do you know what kind of shit could be on this floor?" i asked. i wasnt eating it. i'd rather starve.

"y/n, please. i can't let you starve." he said. did he read my thoughts? "finney, really?" i asked. did he care that much??

"yes. i'd rather you make it out instead of me" he said. "finney don't say that" i said while i continued to pick up the egg bits. "i care about you so much y/n, i hope you know that." he said.

nothing else mattered at this point.

sick to my stomach. i was sick to my stomach. i knew those eggs had something in them. or maybe it was just from them being on the floor. either way, i felt nastily sick.

i was laying on the bed, with my hands up finneys shirt resting on his chest. it was god damn freezing down here okay.

he slowly stroked my hair as we lied in silence.

"can i tell you something?" he asked. oh no. "yeah anything" i said with a fake smile.

"every since we met, back in 5th grade when you invited me to your birthday party, i've always had a thing for you. i mean! that's a horrible way to say it- not a "thing for you" but like..." he rambled

"i've always liked you. you're so pretty and everytime you used to talk to robin id get really jealous. and it's cool because robin is like the coolest guy in school and i respect him but i just can't help but feel a little bit of jealousy."

"what i'm trying to say is that i really like you y/n, and i have for 3 years. i've just never told you because i was afraid of rejection. but, i guess now i have nothing to lose if we're gonna die." he said. wow.

"finney, we're not gonna die first of all, we're gonna get out! and second of all.." was i really about to say this? "i've liked you too. that's why i invited you to my birthday party! i thought you were cute."

"i guess it all works out" he said with a smile. "i guess it does."

moments of silence.

then i felt it. it was so fast.

he kissed me.

finney blake just kissed me.

it took me a while but, i kissed him back. and it felt amazing. it felt like kissing the best kisser in the world. if that makes any sense.

"i'm sorry, was that too sudden?" he asked. "no. it was perfect." i said with a smile. i lied my head down and fell asleep, slowly dreaming about that kiss.