⭒ chapter 10

"i'll go" the grabber said as he closed the door.

hours later, i woke up. i mean all there was to do was sleep. ringing. once again.

finney again jumped up. every damn time.

he slowly got up and so did i. i wanted to listen in this time. he picked up the phone and held it to his ear. i leaned in to listen. "hello?" finney asked.

"is someone there, we need help" he said. moments of silence. "hello?" he asked again.

"finney."

a voice over the phone. my eyes widened and i looked at finney. he had the same expression on his face. he hung up the phone quickly and fell back onto the ground.

i only stood where i was. i looked towards the phone and picked it up. finney hurdley ran to me. "hello?" i asked.

"don't hang up." the voice said. "is this finney?"

"no, this is y/n." i said. "y/n??" the voice asked. "yeah, who is this?"

"i don't know. i don't remember. can i please talk to finney?" he asked. "of course" i said. i reached the phone out to finney. "phone for you."

he took the phone with shaky hands. "who is this?" finney asked, as if i didn't just ask it. "i don't remember my name." the voice said.

"why not?"

"it's the first thing you lose"

"first thing you lose when?"

"you know when"

"how do you know our names?"

"we met once. i knew y/n for a while before. your arm is mint. you almost had me"

finneys face morphed. so did mine. we made eye contact.

"bruce?" we both asked. "bruce yamada?"

"y-yeah. bruce. uh i'm bruce. your arm is mint. you almost had me."

"did the phone ring for you?" i asked

"it rang, but none of us heard it. just you guys. the grabber hears the phone too but he doesn't want to believe it."

"why are you calling us?"

"your arm is mint. you almost had me."

to be completely honest i had no idea what the two were talking about but i was invested.

"i'm glad it's you"

finney didn't respond.

"finney?"

"yeah?"

"there's a dirt section of the floor in the hallway where the tile is loose." we both looked towards the hallway. "okay."

"dig down underneath the foundation. i tried but there wasn't time for me to dig up and out the other side."

"will we have enough time?"

static. the phone clicked. "hello? bruce? bruce?"finney asked. "so he just ended it??? mysterious as hell" i said. i walked over to the hallway.

"cmon" i said to finney. he only sighed. he had basically given up all hope.

he finally got up and we walked over to the hallway. finney and i kneeled on the ground. i saw a piece of the floorboard that was loose. i tugged on it and it came apart.

we continued to pull apart the pieces of the floor until we finally reached dirt.

we took our time digging down and down. we would put the dirt in the toilet and flush it down. after we had dug for about 30 mins we decided it was time to take a break.

we took a rug and put it over the hole as to not let the grabber see it.

we made our way over to the bed and flopped down on it and fell asleep.

after a while, finney made his way over to the wall and slumped down on it. he started biting his nail, looking only at the phone.

minutes went by. nothing. i sat down next to him and leaned my head on his shoulder. he only continued to bite his nails.

after a while, the door opened. we sprung up. the grabber walked in with a plate of eggs and some soda. "i made you some breakfast."

"what did you put in that?"

"salt and pepper" smart ass.

he put the plate on the ground. "oh eat it, don't eat it. you're already down here. what do i need to drug you for?" i can't stand his "humor".

he only walked out. but. no click. no click of a lock. finney quickly made his way over to the door and low and behold, it opened. the phone rang.

i ran to the phone. "hello?" "don't go upstairs. it said. it wasn't bruce this time.

"why not?"

"it's a trap."

"what's he saying?" finney asked. "don't go upstairs. it's a trap" i repeated to him. "are you...are you bruce?" i asked. "who's bruce?" it said. oh.

"uh, we were just talking to bruce." i said.

"i don't know any bruce"

"he's the baseball player. finney played him"

"we don't play baseball here"

"who are you?"

"i don't remember"

"did you play soccer? football?"

"i delivered newspapers"

my face lit up. "what?" finney asked. "billy" i said and turned to finney. his face lit up too.

"you're billy showalter" i said

"maybe"

"no, you're billy"

"do not...go upstairs"

"what is he doing?"

"he's waiting...on the other side with that fucking belt. he didn't say you could leave, so if you try he'll punish you. he'll beat you with that belt until you pass out. it hurts, kid. it hurts real bad."

"you'll cry" he continued. "you'll beg him to stop. we all did. but he just keeps beating you." he said.

and with that, a click.