⭒ chapter 1

i was sweaty. even though it was cloudy outside, the weather was abnormally hot today. i watched the field as finney stepped up to the pitchers stand. 

"come on finney, come on!" gwen yelled from beside me. i was very intrigued even though i knew nothing about baseball.

finney finally swung his arm forward and with the blink of an eye, the batter had missed. "strike!" the umpire yelled. "yes, nice!" i said, a little louder than needed.

 finney finally threw again, and another strike.

it was the third pitch. i watched finney glance over to me and smile. and with that, he threw the ball. the batter hit the ball this time and i suddenly felt bad.

 as the batter ran around the field i focused on finney and watched as he sulked.
————————————

"hey guys!" i said to the blake siblings. gwen gave me a hug (basically suffocating me) and finney smiled and looked away. i couldnt read the look on his face. embarrassed? weird. we began walking.

"i don't know, everyone says fonzie or richie. millie says potsie, but i don't think anyone should ever trust someone who wants to grow up and marry potsie. i think i'll just stick with my current plan and marry danny bonaduce." gwen spoke.

 i don't know how we got on this subject but we're here now. "gwen, i don't think you're gonna marry a member of the partridge family" i said while looking up at the trees. 

"i agree" finney said.

"he's so crucial! i love his voice." gwen said. i noticed finney stop walking and look at a piece of paper hanging up. 

"it's new" he said.

 "what?" me and gwen asked.

 "the flyer. mr. yamada is putting them up again." he said. silence. a moment of silence. we both looked over at gwen who was staring at the poster. 

"you don't think they're gonna find them, do you?" finney asked her.

"not how they want to." gwen said. "come on, let's go, we're gonna be late" i said while taking both of their hands and guiding them ahead.

when we finally arrived at school we heard several kids chanting "fight! fight! fight!". 

we ran to where the noise was coming from and pushed through the large crowd. 

i saw robin arellano beating up a kid. i didn't pay much attention to the people at our school so i had no idea who he was beating up. 

after a while finney took me and gwen's hand and started leading us away.

"what the hell?" gwen asked while yanking her hand away. "that was moose!" she said. "i don't care" finney said while shaking his head. "moose is a giant asshole." she said. 

"i know!" finney replied. "but, last year, when he made your nose bleed.." 

"gwen" 

she was cut off by finney. "he had it coming" she started again. "no one has that coming" finn said. i decided to stay quiet since i had no idea what was going on or who moose was.

"finney, he beat you up!" 

"i know, gwen i was there remember? i.. i just don't wanna talk about it." finney said. 

i felt so bad. 

i knew how much finney got beat up but i could never help anything.

"well, he was stupid to pick a fight with robin arellano. he's the toughest kid in school since the grabber got pinball vance hopper." gwen stated.

 "i wish you wouldn't call him that." "everybody called him pinball vance." "no.. i mean" "i know who you mean, jerk face. even the papers call him the grabber!"

the siblings argued while i looked back and forth between them. i found it very entertaining. 

"just, i wish you wouldn't say his name." finney said. "you don't actually believe that story, do you?"

"no." finney said in response. 

"because he can't hear you. he doesn't really take kids that say it." gwen said. 

"i know that" finney said while looking away. 

"finney." 

"i said i know!" finney said.

"then say it!" i said finally chiming in. he looked down at me and smiled while starting to laugh. "no!" he said. 

i glanced down at our hands to see they were still connected. he never stopped holding my hand. it looks like he didn't mind though.

"are you chicken?" gwen asked. it went silent for a few moments.

 "i didn't mean it" she said finally. 

"i know." finney said.