54 - Forever

Isla stirred the sauce on the stove. When she glanced out the kitchen window it was already dark. They had passed the first anniversary of Autumn's death. Leo had spent time with Cody and Riley and the book. She gave them some space.

They took the money she had saved and from their wedding gifts and put it towards a used car. Part of her missed picking Leo up every night, but she was glad not to leave the warm house on the cold, dark evening.

"Mom, mom!" Cody yelled. "Riley pinched me."

She sighed and put the spoon down. Riley's voice came next. "He was in my room looking through my things."

"Pinching isn't kind for any reason. Plus, you love your brother. Cody, stay out of Riley's room. Your dad will be home soon." She looked from one to the other. "Riley, apologize and Cody, help me set the table."

Riley's apology was sweet and included a hug. "Isla, what's for dinner?"

"Spaghetti."

Cody took to calling her mom right after the wedding, but Riley had been resistant. Isla understood she had a mom she remembered. The two siblings laughed as they set the table.

"Is dad on the train?" Riley asked.

Isla nodded. "He should be home."

"Good. I need a poster board."

Isla looked at her. "You what? How long have you known?"

The girl shrugged. "I forgot about it."

"Riley, I could have bought it earlier. Your dad doesn't want to go back out."

"I'll call him." She picked up the landline. "Hi daddy. I need a poster board. Isla said you'd be mad. Okay. Here Isla."

"That's not what I said."

"I'm sure. I guess I have an extra stop. Did you know it was the soap and a poster board that brought us to the diner that night?"

Isla laughed. "Fate."

"How was your day?"

"Fine." She didn't tell him about the fighting.

"Train's pulling in. See you soon. Love you."

He hung up, before she could say she loved him back. She set a pot to boil and sat down to read. As the water was ready, headlights flashed and her pulse quickened.

Leo appeared carrying the sturdy paper. "Riley!" He smiled at Isla. "Hi, wife."

He pulled his lips off hers when Riley said, "Thanks, dad. I told you it was no big deal."

"Whoa! It was when I made an extra stop and Isla shopped earlier."

"But, but you're my dad."

Leo sighed as Isla faced the stove. "Even if she was your nanny, she shops during the week. I don't. Riley, Isla's your stepmother, but mom will always be your mother. Just cut your dad some slack. I remember another night you needed a poster board."

Riley smiled. "We don't have to go out to eat because Isla's here."

"We don't have soap on the floor."

"Dad, admit you're glad about the soap otherwise, I wouldn't have found Isla."

Isla saw Leo's smile as she moved to the sink to drain the pasta pot. In no time, the family sat and ate with cheerful faces. Isla felt a wave through her telling her it was meant to be. All the sadness led to their family. Leo stayed to help clean up. After the kids ran off, he grabbed her from behind.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"She's moody. She fought with Cody earlier."

"She's not even an official teen."

The best part of the evenings were when they read in bed together. Often they went to their room after Riley was in bed and didn't read at all.

Leo nuzzled into her neck. "I've been thinking maybe we should skip the condoms. That's if you're ready."

Isla bit her lip. "Am I ready to be a mother?"

Leo laughed. "You already are."

He gathered her in his arms. She trusted him completely. Forever.

Thanks for going on this journey with Leo and Isla. I know it was a different story. I wrote it as a modern Sound of Music. I also have a soft spot for a widower doctor who fell in love with a nun on a long running Brit programme. I know the religious aspects might not be for everyone, but you were all lovely ❤️

I loved all your comments and votes. If you don't already please follow me. Next week I am doing something different. I am posting a Christmas short story. It will be available until the morning of December 26th when I start my next full length story, Mystery of You. Be sure to add Loving Christmas to your library and reading lists today.

 Be sure to add Loving Christmas to your library and reading lists today

After Christmas, it will revert to Mystery of You.