6 - Just right

Isla's feet felt like lead, as she followed him back into the diner. She hadn't agreed to anything, but once he told the children, it would be too late to back down. Did a safe place to sleep appeal to her? She felt like a foster child going to a new home. Each time had come with the promise that it would be better. It never was. She had left the safest place she had ever lived. Her reasons were confusing even to herself. Like in the foster homes, she never really belonged. The Nelson family had been kind, but she didn't belong with them either.

Riley looked at her with a wide smile. "Really?"

She nodded. Leo said, "Riley has driven away every nanny we have had in the last year, but not you."

"Why me?" She felt an odd sensation in her chest. It was similar to what she felt occasionally when she prayed.

"Because I picked you, and you're not old and smelly or young and creepy."

"Not old or young?"

Riley nodded. "Just right."

Leo asked, "Why were some creepy?"

She shrugged. "They asked weird questions about you."

"Me?" Leo looked surprised. Isla diverted her eyes.

"Yes, like if you had a girlfriend."

He frowned. "Really. It's a good thing Isla isn't like that."

Isla stared at her pancakes. Why were men so complicated? The church didn't recognize divorce, meanwhile Isla wondered if her employer would bring home a woman. The day before, she had expected one.

As she rode towards the house, she wondered what her day would be like. When she woke she had expected time in the library and outside on a park bench. Isla had planned to use some of her pay for dinner. "Should I plan the weekend meals?"

"Oh, um. I hadn't thought that far ahead."

"Daddy, Isla cooks better than you."

"I won't argue with that." Once he parked the car in the driveway, they climbed out. "You can show Isla her room but come back upstairs. Let her get settled."

"Okay, Dad."

Isla followed Riley down the stairs with Cody behind her. She didn't realize the house had even more space. There was a room with a lot of bookshelves, boxes, and a desk with papers on it. Riley pointed to a door. Inside was a room with a large bed covered in a pretty quilt, a wooden chest of drawers, and an overstuffed chair. It was nicer than any room she had ever slept in.

"Here." Riley opened a door within the bedroom to reveal a bathroom complete with a small shower.

"Oh my!" Beautiful.

"We hid from a nanny in here. The door locks and she couldn't open it. Daddy wasn't happy when he came home."

Isla frowned. "You know your mischief isn't very kind. I would worry you were unsafe."

"We won't do it to you. We don't want to get rid of you, and this is your room now."

Cody said, "Where will Grandma and Grandpa sleep?"

Riley said, "I don't know. Dad will know. Come on, Cody."

The older sister pulled her brother's hand. Isla was alone, as she looked around. Besides the bathroom door, there was another for a small closet. She closed the door and pressed the lock Riley had mentioned. Safe. From what? Sleeping at the shelter? Her past? Being under the same roof as a man?

Isla had faint memories of grandmother. She took care of her while her mother was out doing things Isla couldn't imagine. Her grandmother had raised her mother single-handedly. Unlike her mother, Gran kept her safe. Isla felt safe until Gran got sick and died. Even as an adult, she didn't know what killed her. Sister Agnes said, "God needed her home." Isla needed her when she bounced between foster homes. She faced challenges from other children. Some didn't like how she quietly kept to herself. Some would torment her for not joining in mischief.