33 - Out

Leo dreamed about kissing and being held. Sometimes the face was obscure. Other times it was Autumn who would become Isla. He wished it could be just Isla, but he could never let go of his wife. Maybe it was his subconscious protecting him from what he couldn't have.

Thankfully, the hot stretch ended, and the kids went back to their own rooms. He was tired of arriving at work feeling like he had been at the gym after walking the few blocks from the station. Zach always looked fresher.

The guy was near perfect. Lilli had slowed down on wedding preparations and was busy with a new client. For a novice agent, she had some promising authors. Leo envisioned her and Zach as the next power couple like Dwyer and Browning. It wasn't far-fetched because of his relationship with Dwyer.

Lilli strolled into his office with a piece of chocolate in her hand. Leo winked. "Keep that up and you'll never fit into your wedding dress."

Lilli laughed. She had the metabolism of a fifteen-year-old boy. Leo had thought with Isla's cooking he would gain weight, but his clothes fit better because she used fresh ingredients instead of processed food. She also had fresh fruit in the house, so even the kids were eating fewer snack foods.

She shut his door. She and Chelsea didn't understand each other. Leo had molded her into a competent assistant. He incentivised her like he did his children. She could leave early as a reward for finishing the tedious contract with the studio. Leo wanted to celebrate the final deal with Isla, but it would never happen. He imagined her across a candlelit table, or sprawled naked in his bed. Some things were meant for dreams.

"Yo, Leo. Did you hear me?"

"What? Sorry."

"I said, we're staying home this weekend. We haven't seen the kids in ages."

"Come over. We don't have plans."

She smiled. "I'll text Isla to see what works for her."

He wanted to say she wasn't his wife, but oddly, she felt like one without sharing a room. To her credit, she didn't retreat into her shell after their night in the pool. It was awkward the next day, but they quickly fell into their quiet routine.

Lilli left with a big smile. "Bye." She waved at Leo who stood behind her. He shook his leg because sometimes after sitting his balls got pinched. He hadn't expected Chelsea to notice but her eyes narrowed. Leo chuckled as he chose a piece of candy for himself.

The following morning, Lilli found him making a cup of coffee in the kitchen. "It's all set. Sunday, I'm cooking."

Leo smiled and nodded. He already knew because she texted Isla while they watched the baseball game together.

Lilli eyed him and leaned against the counter next to him. She was close enough he could smell her perfume, especially when he stepped over to put sugar in his coffee and Austin took his place at the machine.

"What should I make?" Lilli reached up and pulled a thread off his tie. He had lunch with a client.

They jumped apart at the sound of Chelsea's voice. "It's Leo! How did I not see it?"

Leo frowned. "What's me?"

"You and Lilli. Her mystery guy."

Before either could respond Austin did. "Everyone knows there is nothing with these two. It's Lilli and Zach. It was more entertaining when neither of them knew."

Leo laughed as Chelsea's face bunched up. Lilli threw her hands in the air. "So much for privacy. Zach won't believe Austin was the one who outed us."

Leo watched Chelsea storm off. "That was priceless."