12 - Date

Isla felt sick all afternoon leading to her dinner with Paul. She picked up her phone at least ten times to cancel. What if she had nothing to say to him? What if he asked personal questions? What if he touched her?

Helen had been excited all week as they walked and talked. Mostly Helen and Marcia talked, and she listened. She struggled to keep up with the older women. Her breathing became rapid and her heart rate sped up.

Helen said, "You're young. You need to get in better shape. We'll take care of you."

Helen had to have thirty-plus years on Isla and Marcia carried excess pounds, but she couldn't keep up with them. Would she lose her companions if she canceled her dinner? What if she didn't have anything to say to him?

She went to the bathroom and looked at the toilet waiting for the wave of nausea. When it passed, she put her phone in her pocket and went upstairs to wait. She had been texting with Paul. Even though her fingers were slow, she found it easier than talking face to face. He knew she was a nanny, and so she suggested he text when he arrived, since she lived at her job. It would feel more awkward to have to introduce Paul to Leo. Isla didn't call him Leo. She avoided addressing him by name, because he had told her not to say Mr. Nelson.

Her phone buzzed, and she put on her coat and walked outside. Paul smiled as he held the door for her. Her hands felt clammy even in the cool air.

"I thought a casual dinner." She nodded. "Did you have a good week?"

"Yes. Thank you." Her mouth worked. She wished Leo had lied about his date again. She should focus on Paul. "How were your students?"

He chuckled. "They were all fine. I love teaching during Lent. So many stories of sacrifice to share."

"Tell me one." She smiled a little when her voice worked.

"I'll save it for when we sit down." He laughed as if he was totally at ease.

He parked in front of a chain restaurant. Isla didn't know if she could sit across from him and talk. She talked to the children and women, but men scared her.

A young girl led them to a booth. She slid in while he did the same across from her. He wore a colorful sweater and smelled of aftershave, but not the same as Leo's. His smile was warm as she slipped off her coat. He looked from her sweater to her face.

"I didn't ask if you drank."

"A little wine on holidays, do you?"

"I like to have a drink when I'm out. Will you mind?"

She shook her head, but worried about him driving. She would call Helen if he drank too much.

He ordered his drink, and she asked for water. The bubbly server returned with a glass of beer for him. Leo and Zach drank beer.

He took a sip of his beer. "So how old are the children?"

"Six and eleven."

"Not little. What do you do when they're in school?"

She stammered. "I. I clean and cook and shop."

"And walk with my mother. She's something."

Isla nodded. "I like her. You have a big family."

"We do. It can be crazy. My parents changed their lives with one big decision." She nodded, but didn't comment whether she knew or didn't know. "Tell me your story."

"There isn't much to tell. I grew up in Philadelphia. After I lost my grandmother, I went into the foster system."

He frowned. "I'm sorry. Was it awful?"